Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Force or stealth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So force or stealth?

Post SHTF it looks like most of us will not be 100% self- sufficient for food & water & meds & fuel etc etc, so unless you can barter or fill in the gap somehow raids may become a necessary evil.
I fully understand it’s not for everyone and it would be a last resort for most even if they could. If your only option would be to break into say a warehouse to have a nose around which path would you choose?
There has been mentions of lump hammers / jemmys etc in bug out bags showing a need for force, but with these products around…

http://www.ukbumpkeys.com/product_Quick-..._index.php
http://www.ukbumpkeys.com/product_BROCKH..._index.php#

….would a less noisy approach be better?
I know it would depend on the situation etc, but as a general idea the ‘gun’ looks to be lightweight / easy to conceal & cheap?
Should this kit be a standard prepper item?
STEALTH every time! and not just for gaining entry to places, for everything! much better, in my estimation, to go for the "softly, softly" approach than the gung ho "slam, bang" style. but then that's just me!Tongue
Each have their place. Best be ready for both as sometime just one option is not enough.
sorry SD, cant agree with you there, I feel that the force approach-especially in relation to gaining entry to somewhere- just brings one to the notice of others and then we would be in a worse position!!
There are so many anti bump key locks on the market now that a pry bar would also be handy.
When you are using a bump key your still have to hammer/tap the back of the key to make the pins jump.
Which makes as much noise as a crowbar breaking a lock.
Also some doors like fire doors dont have locks on the outside so the only way to gain access would be a crowbar.

Just a quick note regarding bump keys.
You can find them on Amazon fairly cheap. Wink
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss...ump%20keys
My Preference is for stealth but you must have the option to go loud if the situation dictates ie be armed and supported..well armed and heavilly supported remembering you're not there to fight you'd be there to gather supplies.
as a matter of interest, what kind of places utilise these sorts of locks? most places around here are yale locks or padlocks....but then i'm not in a city. if you go heavily armed you might not WANT to fight but you could end up in one none the less, which is why I prefer the softly softly approach.
if you go quietly but armed and well supported you either get the gear and dissapear into the wild blue yonder with some of your support acting as porters(job's a good un) or you can lay down some fire from multiple positions and make a withdrawl with less fear of being persued.
(30 August 2013, 15:07)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]if you go quietly but armed and well supported you either get the gear and dissapear into the wild blue yonder with some of your support acting as porters(job's a good un) or you can lay down some fire from multiple positions and make a withdrawl with less fear of being persued.

yes, thank you, but I prefer to do the job quietly and not get into a firefight, someone may get hit and it might be ME!!Big Grin

in a post shtf situation, I suppose if you lived in a city you might HAVE to go around armed like MAD MAX or RAMBO, but the whole point of being a prepper is that we try to put down enough supplies so that we don't put ourselves into these dangerous situations in the first place. if people are going to go around using force armed to the teeth what is the point in having stores of food anyway, we might just as well put ALL our money into having the best armoury in the area and to hell with tins and dried supplies and the like, just take everything by force. I, personally, do not intend to go this route, I will be keeping my head down and trying to stay OUT of trouble not go looking for it.Angel
Post apoc I would definately not use master keys or lock picks, indeed nor would I use the normal and possibly / probably under survielance front doors either. If desperate and suspecting a threat I would prolly ram raid my way in. Aleternately I would bust a window or go through a skylight etc.

Silenc, stealth and the night is the friend of preppers.

Besides I'm not only a confirmed coward but in my family group there is only three of us so I aint going out looking for conflict, I'll use my reccie skills to find alternatives that are less hazardous or dangerous.
Pages: 1 2 3 4