Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Random thoughts on random gear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay everyone, as expected this one is coming out of nowhere. One of S13's random thoughts.

I was speaking to a mate of mine who is going to vanish off for 3 months, to live in Thailand or near the South Pacific for with some of his friends (who apparently go very regularly). Nothing too special there. Here's the part that got me thinking, they are going so that they can spear fish throughout winter and live almost entirely off what they catch! FRICKING AWESOME!!!

Right, so jealousy aside, back on track....this got me wondering how much gear do we all have that is from a random thing that could be used for something like this.

I have basic diving equipment (not complete SCUBA set-up) and plenty of snowboarding gear. All could be useful post SHTF.

One thing I was thinking of, that might be very useful, a snow sledge (just a small one) for if you went hunting in the snow. Would make carrying back any catches a lot easier!!!

Ideas please.

Climbing harness for use to drag the snow-sledge hands free.
The energy requirements to keep warm in our cold water would make the fishing meaningless.

Warm water fishing with a spear gun in the sea is OK. In the UK not so much.
You mention snow sleds

I have been taught to run a 16 sled dog team, so I know a bit about this

Of course I dont have 16 dogs, but my German Shepherds [ I have three ], each have their own taylor made harnesses and they are trained to pull.

I also dont own a sled, so they pull a dog scooter,.. but in the event of an emergency pulling dogs could be very useful, I could always make a sled if I needed to,....I have also had them pull a small trailer with logs in it.
Scythe

I hope your friend s know what they are doing. spear fishing in tropical waters especially when free diving brings with it a high liklihood of shark attack. I know this first hand.

I hope this isn't just some romantic notion for them. The consequences of naivity in this are significant
(31 August 2013, 22:10)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]Scythe

I hope your friend s know what they are doing. spear fishing in tropical waters especially when free diving brings with it a high liklihood of shark attack. I know this first hand.

I hope this isn't just some romantic notion for them. The consequences of naivity in this are significant

My friend is going for his first year, but the people he is going with have been doing it for years. Thanks for the concern.

Sounds like a pretty mad experience you had!
Sled is a good idea harness is even better, wood , game, etc makes perfect sense to me, and dogs that can pull! Even better again, would not hurt to have one in your prepps ......with demountable wheels even better again!
I had a sled when I was a kid when we lived near Huddersfield, it had metal runners on it and in the summer my dad would remove the runners and put wheels on it.
Other ideas please people.

Shed is on the 'to buy' list. Spare wheels are easy enough to sort out (just make sure they move independently, and Tesco doesn't mind a shopping trolly vanishing haha, I'm kidding, those wheels would be useless...look more towards a kid's go-kart to kidnap wheels).
if you live near a river thats near a well used footpath make it a regular walk, if your areas are anything like mine its amazing how many bikes and prams end up in them.

now by rights anything you find shuld be taken to your local police station and then if its not claimed after 28 days (i think its 28 but that might be wrong) you can claim it as your own Big Grin

then once you have it back you can either scavange it for parts or maybe even sell it for a bit extra cash Big Grin
Nice reminder there Hex, cheers mate.
Pages: 1 2