Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Forum Challenge...1 Month...FIRE!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Time for a simple challenge.

Make Fire.

Easy! Light a match, and you're golden, right? Well, if the rules for the challenge were not as follows....

You need to make a fire using nothing that is 2nd-party-man-made. By that I mean nothing you did not make yourself. The only exception to this will be a blade, e.g. knife, axe, etc.

There is no cost to entry....sticks are free from the woods.

Can you use rope? Yes, if you have made it from the raw materials.

Can you use cotton wool? Hell no! Unless you made it yourself.

Can you use a flint and steel? Hell no! Unless you made it yourself.

Can you use a lighter or matches? Hell no! Unless you made it yourself.

Can you use chemicals? Hell no! Unless you refined them yourself.

Unless you've not pulled it up from the natural earth, made it on your own forge that you made yourself from materials you made, then no.

Think "Would a caveman have access to this?" and use that as your basic guide. And no, you can't say "Well a caveman in a chemical factory would have......" or anything like that.

This is a really basic, back to ground roots, challenge.

One day your flint and steel will run out. One day your lighter will stop sparking. Your matches will run out. All of your fire equipment will die off. So, this challenge is to teach you what you don't know and reinforce what you do know.
interesting challenge Big Grin

ive got an pretty good idea of how to do this but without an animal skin i couldnt do it by following your rules exactly.
Out with the bow drill folks
(2 September 2013, 00:12)Hex Wrote: [ -> ]interesting challenge Big Grin

ive got an pretty good idea of how to do this but without an animal skin i couldnt do it by following your rules exactly.

Sorry mate, but TSHTF and you have no animal skin available. So, unless you catch an animal and skin it, using only your knife as your only additional 'human-assisted-item' then you can't do that.
I'm up for it.
Erm - anyone got a guide to making and using a bow drill?
(2 September 2013, 09:23)MCavity Wrote: [ -> ]I'm up for it.
Erm - anyone got a guide to making and using a bow drill?

youtube mate.

Quick note on that one mate, you'll have to make your own string for the bow. No paracord or anything else you've not made yourself.
What does the 1 month refer to in the thread title Scythe?
(2 September 2013, 09:35)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]What does the 1 month refer to in the thread title Scythe?

Time to complete the challenge. Should have made that clear. Sorry.
Gotcha

does sparking flint onto home-made char clth count?
You should ALL be able to do this anyway tut tut, always makes me laugh when you see people with all the camping gear and all the other "survival" equipment to survive the apocalypse but they can't make fire without a lighter or matches, it's even worse when they use one of those ferrous rods and think they are making real fire.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5