Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Water help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While changing the parts in a leaking tap the other day I decided to have a close look at my water supply when I had a look at the water tank in the loft I spotted that its two tanks that are there both labelled 227 ltrs im just wondering if anybody can tell anything more about this system as don't know much about how it works ? also when I turned off the main to fix tap in kitchen the water stopped straight away but the bathroom still had water , from one or both of the tanks I presume .
they are a header tank and an overflow tank. the header tank feeds the bath room cold tap and sometimes the toilet if you have 2 header tanks, its unusual but gives you 454 litres of stored water already but it may need purifying (easily done by boiling it for 5 minutes) I am guessing you only have one header tank and the overflow tank. the kitchen tap is fed directly from the mains supply.
I should imagine one is a header tank if you have an older gas central heating system with a copper tank.
The other one may be in place to provide pressure.
If you plan to use them as emergency water make sure its clean water.

DO NOT use the water from the one being as an expansion tank for your radiators as this will contain chemical. .

Its easy to work out if its good drinking water or not.
Just run the taps and see if they start filling up.
Thanks guysSmile