Survival UK Forums

Full Version: UV5R for Satellite Communications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I came across this and thought it might be useful.
It certainly raises some interesting possibilities.

Lightspeed - any comments?

http://www.geek-prepper.com/satellite-co...am-radios/
Hi RS

Yes, it is possible, and it certainly extends the range of UHF communications

I wouldn't rely on the satelites being open access after a TU event though

Also, even if they do remain active they are in range for a fairly short period and transmitters and receivers have to be constantly frequency adjusted to compensate for the dopler effect introduced by the satelites velocity. This makes working another person via satelite a fairly technical undertaking.

For info, using UV5r/3r radios it is possible to communicate with the International Space Station. Their orbit is many hundreds of Km above the earth, but the transmission remains line of sight while the ISS is over the horizon so comms are possible using low power.

LS

(3 September 2013, 09:18)River Song Wrote: [ -> ]I came across this and thought it might be useful.
It certainly raises some interesting possibilities.

Lightspeed - any comments?

http://www.geek-prepper.com/satellite-co...am-radios/
Cool this is the one ive been look at getting myself. Out of interest how far is the range from 1 box to another?
Hi Mc

this has been subject if heated debate on this forum.

expect 2 to 5 miles in normal conditions. Sometimes more, sometimes less. My first ever contact with one similar to th 5r was North Devon coast to Brecon Beacons....

if both boxes are up high with clear line of sight, you'll be able to make contact irrespective of distance. Thats why the satellites can be reached.

(3 September 2013, 12:09)MCavity Wrote: [ -> ]Cool this is the one ive been look at getting myself. Out of interest how far is the range from 1 box to another?
(3 September 2013, 12:31)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Mc

expect 2 to 5 miles in normal conditions. Sometimes more, sometimes less. My first ever contact with one similar to th 5r was North Devon coast to Brecon Beacons....

if both boxes are up high with clear line of sight, you'll be able to make contact irrespective of distance. Thats why the satellites can be reached.

(3 September 2013, 12:09)MCavity Wrote: [ -> ]Cool this is the one ive been look at getting myself. Out of interest how far is the range from 1 box to another?

i plan on getting a three pack of these and as a matter of course upgrading the antenaes as its a fairly cheap upgrade , would i be wasting my cash (£24 for 3) or a worthwhile option , what kind of improvement might i expect, using as walkie talkie basically.
Where can u get 3 for £24

??
ooops soz not clear enough 3 new aerials £24 Blush
(3 September 2013, 18:19)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]ooops soz not clear enough 3 new aerials £24 Blush

Thanks for the clarification. I can stop drooling now ........
(3 September 2013, 15:26)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]
(3 September 2013, 12:31)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Mc

i plan on getting a three pack of these and as a matter of course upgrading the antenaes as its a fairly cheap upgrade , would i be wasting my cash (£24 for 3) or a worthwhile option , what kind of improvement might i expect, using as walkie talkie basically.

Think you mean 3 x £24 ???

The telescopic nagoya antennas are a good upgrade, but are tuned only to the ham bands ( not PMR446 for example)

Best improvement would be to use a base antenna co-linear dual band antenna like a Watson or an Diamond super gainer mobile antenna. These will vastly improve transmit and receive range. Again both are tunes only to the ham bands

my oops, just read your reply the £24 is for 3 antennas.

That's more than u=you need pay for the Ngoya units