Survival UK Forums

Full Version: How can I maintain contact with mobile person
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My retreat is 300 miles from where my sons and their families live, there may come a time when they need to make that trip in difficult conditions, perhaps with limited fuel or with vehicles blocking roads. I would like to keep track of their progress in case I have to meet them half way to help them in.

How would you keep in touch ? Comms will need to work at every point in the 300 mile trip, not necessarily whilst mobile so a big aerial is acceptable as long as it can be collapsed for transport.
When the new CB mods come in that would be easiest. Currently UV5R and an extendible antenna is the way to go.
Hi Steve,

to have continuous comms over 300 mile range you'll need think NVIS on 7Mhz or 3.5Mhz band. These will give you long term reliable communications.

5 or 10w power is the lowest to consider for reliability.

Morse code will be easiest and least expensive kit wise. Spoken word by SSB will be possible too but at extra cost.

You mentioned that large antennas are ok as long as they can be stowed. The antennas neded for these frequencies and for this technique are long horizontal wires than need to be rigged 6 to 20ft above the ground. Easiest is to use end fed half wave antennas. Using thin wire, this can easily be spooled on coarse fishing tackle trace holders for easy storage. Deployed length of the antennas is approx 20metres long for the 7 MHz frequency and 40 meters long for the 3.5 Mhz frequency.

End fed antennas are deployed APPOXIMATELY horzontally ( perfection is not important not do they have to nbe in a straight line). I do this by attaching a weight to the end of the wire and throwing it over tree limbs, bushes etc.

Why two frequencies? Well long term the 3.5Mhz frequency works best in hours of darkness and the 7Mhz frequency works best in daylight hours.

Kit you'll need are transmitters ( cost range £120 to £600), Antenna matching units (budget £120) and thin, insulated wire for teh antenna ( say £10.00)

The more expensive transmitters in this range will support both voice and Morse code transmission, and will operate on many more frequency bands. Suitable radios are the Yaesu FT817 and if you are lucky enough to find one the excellent Icom IC 703 which is my personal favorite. The 703 combines an Automatic Antenna Matching unit into the radio itself, which makes for easier carriage and deployment.

With this type of setup I reliably communicate over the distances you are planning for, and do so using my station in protable configuration.
This provides loads of ideas!

With a few of these you could have comms nation-wide.
(3 September 2013, 14:21)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Steve,

to have continuous comms over 300 mile range you'll need think NVIS on 7Mhz or 3.5Mhz band. These will give you long term reliable communications.

5 or 10w power is the lowest to consider for reliability.

Morse code will be easiest and least expensive kit wise. Spoken word by SSB will be possible too but at extra cost.

You mentioned that large antennas are ok as long as they can be stowed. The antennas neded for these frequencies and for this technique are long horizontal wires than need to be rigged 6 to 20ft above the ground. Easiest is to use end fed half wave antennas. Using thin wire, this can easily be spooled on coarse fishing tackle trace holders for easy storage. Deployed length of the antennas is approx 20metres long for the 7 MHz frequency and 40 meters long for the 3.5 Mhz frequency.

End fed antennas are deployed APPOXIMATELY horzontally ( perfection is not important not do they have to nbe in a straight line). I do this by attaching a weight to the end of the wire and throwing it over tree limbs, bushes etc.

Why two frequencies? Well long term the 3.5Mhz frequency works best in hours of darkness and the 7Mhz frequency works best in daylight hours.

Kit you'll need are transmitters ( cost range £120 to £600), Antenna matching units (budget £120) and thin, insulated wire for teh antenna ( say £10.00)

The more expensive transmitters in this range will support both voice and Morse code transmission, and will operate on many more frequency bands. Suitable radios are the Yaesu FT817 and if you are lucky enough to find one the excellent Icom IC 703 which is my personal favorite. The 703 combines an Automatic Antenna Matching unit into the radio itself, which makes for easier carriage and deployment.

With this type of setup I reliably communicate over the distances you are planning for, and do so using my station in protable configuration.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331005905952?l...80&ff14=54

So one of those and 60 meters of wire (20 & 40) and we're good to go??

Sweet...
(3 September 2013, 15:30)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]This provides loads of ideas!

Yep. 9 stations in strategic locations could cover the whole of the UK
Some thoughts for you Steve:

The ultra low cost Pixie ii
An under £10 possible solution.

Possible because it might work if you are very lucky. This is really a last ditch fall-back transceiver for use when everything else has failed. I would not use it for vital or dependable communications:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AYMN9rEwslM/TU...ematic.gif
Pixie as a simple to construct kit:
http://www.halted.com/ccp13844-enhanced-...kit240.htm

A much betterkit alternative would be:
http://www.qrpkits.com/fttut.html

You’ll also need a tuner like this:[i]
This is a must have for anyone seriously looking at emergency radio set-ups as it allows end fed wires to be tuned for resonance with the transmitter. End fed wires can be very efficient as well as being ultra low profile.[i]
http://www.qrpkits.com/sota.html

Some alternatives to consider:

This is a single radio that covers both 7 and 3.5Mhz plus two other useful ham bands. Morse code (CW) only. 4 w output
http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/HB-1B-MKII.html#a10898

This one is capable of operating in voice mode ( SSB) on 5 frequency bands including 7Mhz. I have not used one of these but its specification and build quality looks like it’s a robust self contained package. It even comes with a lithium internal power supply
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Youkits-TJ2B-M...41766d0a98
(3 September 2013, 21:26)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]
(3 September 2013, 15:30)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]This provides loads of ideas!

Yep. 9 stations in strategic locations could cover the whole of the UK

hmmmm interesting.

This time next year i might come back to this thread and have a serious think about this, i wish i was in a position to act now!
(3 September 2013, 13:24)Steve Wrote: [ -> ]My retreat is 300 miles from where my sons and their families live, there may come a time when they need to make that trip in difficult conditions, perhaps with limited fuel or with vehicles blocking roads. I would like to keep track of their progress in case I have to meet them half way to help them in.

How would you keep in touch ? Comms will need to work at every point in the 300 mile trip, not necessarily whilst mobile so a big aerial is acceptable as long as it can be collapsed for transport.

Your asking TWO questions steve
First you say " I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP TRACK OF THEIR PROGRESS"

Then you ask " HOW WOULD YOU KEEP IN TOUCH?"

LS and tothers are right about radios for the second question but for the fitst you can get doofahs called APPS for cellphones that turn them into GPS trackers, they were developed to help parents know where their children are at all times, you can tap into their cell phones remotely and it gives you their exact real time location.
Obviously if the cell towers are out it wont work.

Alternately if you have the money get em an irridium satelite phone.
(4 September 2013, 09:38)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]
(3 September 2013, 13:24)Steve Wrote: [ -> ]My retreat is 300 miles from where my sons and their families live, there may come a time when they need to make that trip in difficult conditions, perhaps with limited fuel or with vehicles blocking roads. I would like to keep track of their progress in case I have to meet them half way to help them in.

Your asking TWO questions steve
First you say " I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP TRACK OF THEIR PROGRESS"

Then you ask " HOW WOULD YOU KEEP IN TOUCH?"

LS and tothers are right about radios for the second question but for the fitst you can get doofahs called APPS for cellphones that turn them into GPS trackers, they were developed to help parents know where their children are at all times, you can tap into their cell phones remotely and it gives you their exact real time location.
Obviously if the cell towers are out it wont work.

Alternately if you have the money get em an irridium satelite phone.

I wish to keep track of their progress by them telling me where they are. For example, we could have prearranged contact times when they can tell me if they are stuck and where they are.
Pages: 1 2