Survival UK Forums

Full Version: panic buy it all now or wait?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I've always been interested in survivalism/preparedness(Be Prepared,is my football teams motto lol)but with a feeling of impending doom starting to wash over me i've just begun to act hence joining this forum , The forum has been a real eye opener in terms of opinions insights and some great advice , my concern is everyone i've mentioned prepping to thinks i'm stark staring mad , partner would hit the roof if she saw my little list i've compiled of essentials that i feel need immediate attention , i reckon i could spend 3k tommorrow on stuff i feel i need right now but my availabe budget is perhaps £100 a month tops , the question is do i borrow money to fill the crucial inventory or do i gamble on nothing happening for 30 months til i've accumulated this essential stores?
I get a warm feeling when people say "they think I'm crazy" still. Despite everything that's going on financially and environmentally most people will still be oblivious to that sense of impending doom Smile. Doesn't Make us special or even different, just a bit more aware. My advice is not tell anyone, if anything were to happen, then those you mentioned it to will be thinking "Oh I bet Midnitemo" probably has some spare X. 100 a month on preps is enough right now, but as and when you feel that sense of doom rising somewhat, just bump it up a notch, if nothing happens than thank god and go back to putting away £100 again, prepping should be an insurance policy or a good motivator for a few outdoor hobbies, not a lifestyle, that way you're less inclined to go "f**k it I'm wasting my money" then sell/ give it away just before the world ends.
THIS PREPPING BUG CAN BECOME OVERWHELMING AT TIMES EVEN TO US !,So don't get into a panic and splash the cash or credit to get the bits you feel that you've gotta have mate. Secondly....your not mad....you've become aware of the different situations that may face us all...your awake !!! This is reality Neo, if we all thought we had say 3 weeks to prepare for a big ,life threatening event...then I'd get a huge loan and fill the cupboards and the rest of the gear on my personal wants list ! And not give a flying duck about paying it back,but if you did this....believe me ...you'd have sleepless nights worrying about it ....the impending doom is all around us at present and without mentioning any big news story....plus its a sorta depressing topics we all write about on here and other forums..we are trying to make it better for us and our family's.....ultimately do what you think you wanna do..but honestly mate....don't get boatloads of debt ....20 squids weeks a good start..or sell other stuff to buy some bits you need..you will get there ...take a step back if you need , this forum will still be here in a few weeks..take it easy man RW
That feeling your getting is happening to a lot of people all over the world.
Preppers seem to get the feeling as well as "enlightened" people. see zen gardner.

They say its because the worlds changing and certain people are evolving away from violence and the old human ways.

Preppers say its because were aware of whats going on more than normal sheeple.

who knows just control the feeling, dont let it control you.

look up the 100th monkey phenomenon that's an interesting view on things.
I agree, dont go into dept, be aware, buy by priorities, and keep your senses sharp, remember although we are preppers, we also have to live our `normal` lives,.. the saying ` a tin at a time` simply means buy within your means
I have prioritised these essentials with water being top priority and i had considered that there will probably be some pointers as to the event imminent arrival giving me time to max out the cards but a fair few bits and bobs are not off the shelf items , think i may splurge the cash i have floating on the harder to source bits.
I'd highly recommend using ebay to the max. Find things you can sell on ebay, sell them, then use that money to buy more things to sell for a profit, as well as preps. For every £10 in profit you make, spend £3 on preps and then £7 on stuff to sell. As long as you keep bringing back £10 a time, you're good. If you really want, try upping that £10 to £100, and then you can spend £30 on preps and £70 to rebuy more stuff to sell.

No point just spend spend spend. Why not reinvest to spend more at a later date? That's what makes more sense to me.
(8 September 2013, 21:43)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd highly recommend using ebay to the max. Find things you can sell on ebay, sell them, then use that money to buy more things to sell for a profit, as well as preps. For every £10 in profit you make, spend £3 on preps and then £7 on stuff to sell. As long as you keep bringing back £10 a time, you're good. If you really want, try upping that £10 to £100, and then you can spend £30 on preps and £70 to rebuy more stuff to sell.

No point just spend spend spend. Why not reinvest to spend more at a later date? That's what makes more sense to me.

Interesting option but i have a job(shiftwork)children who live the other end of the country who i spend as much time as i can with and a million other calls on my time...what stuff would i sell? and don't you have to declare it a business after so many transactions?
We dont have any around here, but think about places like pound stretcher, many people here get a fair few bits from the likes of these types of shops

...are you staying home or moving out if something happens?, if you are bugging out, its no good storing food if you dont have a pack to carry it

think about what you will need in the first three days, get that, then move your thoughts to a month

Think about getting things that have more than one use,.. camping gear is a good example, great if you have to move, but also good if your power goes out at home, you then have a means to cook, and stay warm
I'm bugging in .... already got loads of camping gear...more knives than sabatier....shotgun's....clothing etc etc so i'm already up and running in some area's but lots of gaps in others, clean safe sustainable water being the most pressing, got a berky in the post.
Pages: 1 2 3 4