Survival UK Forums

Full Version: FT 290r serious portable VHF transceiver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Our friend Scythe13 has been pushing out the boundaries on what can be done with portable radio equipment.

So I think it is time to look at a piece of kit that almost all Hams of the older generation will still have in their station, or wish they had.

Its the venerable Yaesu FT 290r. This was one of the first complete radio stations in a box, and certainlly the one sold in greatest numbers. Here's why:
  • Self contained
  • powered by internal D cells or external 12v
  • Multi-mode: FM, Single Side Band, CW (Morse)
  • Switchable 0.5w or 3w power output
  • Ultra low power consumption
  • Solid state with microprocessor control and digital readout
  • Twin VFOs ( Like two radios in one box)
  • Able to fine tune signals
  • Integrated proper signal meter and battery voltage meter
  • Memory channels
  • UK Repeater offsets pre-set
  • came with optional portable carry case including shoulder strap and mucrophone holder.
  • Integrated telescopic whip antenna
  • External antenna connector on rear

The FT 290r although most examples are now over 30 years old, continue to be heard on air. It is my preferred VHF portable radio. Simple, robust and extremely low power consumption, but still able to consistently achieve hilltop direct transmission range of 50+ miles, and in the summer monts also able to work statiions right into the heart of europe.

The great thing is that one of these old ladies is still compatible with our modern day hand held FM walkie talkies that have ham VHF capability, such as the UV3r and UV5r type equipment.

Of course it is a true Ham transceiver and requires a license to operate at the current time.

Buying tips
Currently good units change hands on e-bay for around £60
Obviously buying kit of this age carries a risk that not everything works as it should.
Good ones come in original carton ( a sign of care ans attention), original microphone, vinyl carrying pouch, shoulder strap, nicad charger, and 12v power supply.
Really good ones also come with Mutek pre-amplifiers, and some also with the original Yaesu clip on power amplifier.

Avoid ones with badly scuffed casings, worn out lettering on facia, broken antennas, displays that are leaking out ( black stains on the glass), missing microphones, signs of battery leakage on internal battery compartment.

Small niggles that are not del breakers: Failed internal illumination of dials ( thay all fail here sooner or later, but no effect on operational performance), dead coin cell that powers the memory channels ( these can be replaced or just use the radio without using the memories)

This is what the FT290r looks like:

[attachment=209][attachment=210]
Would that cover the mantle idea I had?
(11 September 2013, 09:21)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Would that cover the mantle idea I had?

It'll cover the uplink to the Mantle device we have been discussing if that device uses a VHF capable receiving radio such as a 3r.

The FT 290 does not cover PMR446 frequencies, so cannot interact directly with them.
So license only?
(11 September 2013, 09:55)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]So license only?

Yep, 'fraid so. It only operates on ham frequencies.
I have this one in storage

[Image: icon_zps2c973288.jpg]

and this one sitting next to me

[Image: 902dm_zpseebd5819.jpg]

No license of course, so listening only,.... for now
(11 September 2013, 21:22)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I have this one in storage

[Image: icon_zps2c973288.jpg]

and this one sitting next to me

[Image: 902dm_zpseebd5819.jpg]

No license of course, so listening only,.... for now

those babies are in great looking condition HL.

sweet Cool