Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Antibiotics Post SHTF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Anyone who has any first aid skill or is interested in post SHTF medicine will know that Antibiotics are going to be in very short supply. So Stock up now.

There's also the debate about Fish Antibiotics which some say are good and worth investing in.

Even with regular antibiotics you have to be careful that you dont give the wrong antibiotic for the wrong this.

I'm attaching to this post a resource from Ireland which contains in my opinion one of the clearest charts and data for dispensing antibiotics.
It has a complex title but it is well worth a copy for your our resource library.

I hope you find it useful.

[attachment=212]

Allons-y
Thanks RS, copy saved. It's certainly clear and precise and could be very useful indeed.

That is one helluva handle though, innit? Smile
don't prescription drugs have a shortish life span?, I know when anything I've had from the doctor has a date stamped on the box.
you normally get in excess of a year though, well on everything i've had it's been over a year "use by".

a year is a long time!
(19 September 2013, 09:15)Binnie Wrote: [ -> ]you normally get in excess of a year though, well on everything i've had it's been over a year "use by".

a year is a long time!

maybe it is if its something you use all the time, but something "just in case" could exceed its date before you use it, I have heard it could be dangerous to use any drug past its date as the properties change over time, I have asthma inhalers"just in case" and most get thrown out without ever having been used.
The fish antibiotics are great, tried them with a major root canal abscess I just had.

Doctor prescribed some antibiotics which didn't touch it hardly. took the fish mox forte for three weeks three times a day and it disappeared.
The dentist cant even tell I had an infection.

Dear at £50 imported as I haven't found a British supplier YET.

But well worth it as they are pharmacy grade (human) and have at least a two year shelf life on them.

I can highly recommend them.
(19 September 2013, 09:22)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]maybe it is if its something you use all the time, but something "just in case" could exceed its date before you use it, I have heard it could be dangerous to use any drug past its date as the properties change over time, I have asthma inhalers"just in case" and most get thrown out without ever having been used.

We have to think in terms of "when nothing else is available". If after SHTF, thats all you have, then thats all you have.

However, research has shown as follows in terms of safety and efficacy of drugs.

With a splitting headache you reach into your medicine cabinet for some aspirin only to find the stamped expiration date on the bottle has passed - two years ago. So, do you take it or don't you? If you decide to take the aspirin will it be a fatal mistake or will you simply continue to suffer from the headache?

This is a dilemma many people face in some way or another. A column published in Pyschopharmacology Today offers some advice.

It turns out that the expiration date on a drug does stand for something, but probably not what you think it does. Since a law was passed in 1979 in the USA, drug manufacturers are required to stamp an expiration date on their products. This is the date at which the manufacturer can still guarantee the full potency and safety of the drug.

Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the US military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date.

So the expiration date doesn't really indicate a point at which the medication is no longer effective or has become unsafe to use. Medical authorities state expired drugs are safe to take, even those that expired years ago. A rare exception to this may be tetracycline, but the report on this is controversial among researchers. It's true the effectiveness of a drug may decrease over time, but much of the original potency still remains even a decade after the expiration date. Excluding nitroglycerin, insulin, and liquid antibiotics, most medications are as long-lasting as the ones tested by the military. Placing a medication in a cool place, such as a refrigerator, will help a drug remain potent for many years.

Hope this helps

Allons-y
will have SOME medication in stock but mostly we are going the HERBAL route, wife has been trained up in this and is a wiz!Big Grin
BP, That is the only route we have imo. So those that are not doing that need to consider exactly what route they are taking.
I dont think it makes a lot of difference, as RS said if its the only medication you have, then you are going to take it none the less.

A drug is not going to turn into something that is going to harm you after a `best before date`, all its going to do [ if anything] is loose some, or all of its effectiveness
Pages: 1 2 3 4