Survival UK Forums

Full Version: I'm positive that you're negative
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Survival situations rely as much on attitude as skills.

If you're feeling down, in a group survival situation, would it be best to speak up or shut up?

Considering your personality and that attitudes are contagious, what would you do?

As a team player, should you have a moral obligation to ignore your own gripes and do what's best for the team?
My group know that I am upbeat 99% of the time and for the other 1% they support my grumpiness by becoming more positive themselves.

Problems of morale in the group only occur when we are all completely worn out, and our emotional energy reserves at zero. Thankfully we can recognise when this is happening and have coping behaviours as we know it to be a very rare and short lived event.
Good that you've already addressed these issues mate.

The wife and I have very similar strategies. Once in a blue moon I'll have a bad day, but after that, right as rain, energy and motivation of the group. Same with her, when she has her B moments, I say "You're being uncool. You're in one of your B moods and you're going to regret it." Shortly after she will turn round and apologise, and we'll be back to normal.

This issue is one I have for working with neighbours. I'm worried that someone might click and become a negative influence and bring the team down. This is my only real issue I have at the front of my mind with the people here.
i'ts going to be a major problem...everybody is going to get down about the land of milk and honey turning into a crock of shit...anyone who doesn't was probably mad before the fact.
when you get down there is only so much other people can do to lift you up, you MUST find a way up Smile
I agree with that David075, but should you let people know you're down, or should you just shut up and find a way to cheer up and motivate yourself?
I am happy working as a part of a team, it suits me because I am fundamentally lazy. In the past I have directed when it's clear that others aren't managing, but I prefer to guide rather than dictate. This probably sounds a bit strange considering I ran my own company for 15 years but by guiding and letting people manage themselves I got more time to do the things I wanted to do.

In regards to this post I would support and encourage others efforts for as long as they were working, leading would be my last resort, low profile is my motto.
Spot on Steve.

By not dictating and closely directing, but empowering others to meet and resolve immediate challenges on their own initiative, this gives a leader more time for steerage: prediction, identification, assessment and development of strategies for coping with future challenges that are not immediately visible.
i've often found keeping people busy is a good way of heading of depression especially if what there doing is of real benefit...time to dwell on things is not time well spent imho

bugging in is going to be a real challenge regarding the above
(25 September 2013, 12:44)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with that David075, but should you let people know you're down, or should you just shut up and find a way to cheer up and motivate yourself?

No easy answer I don't see any harm in letting people know you are having a (bad day).
Pages: 1 2 3