Survival UK Forums

Full Version: maglite help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a number of maglites and would like to upgrade them to LED mainly to make the batteries go further, on looking on the preppers saviour(ebay)there are all manner of upgrades available , what i'm after is the same or near light characteristics for less power usage , got a single aaa two double a's and a 3d cells model...i like maglites and want to carry on using them as they have served me well for many years...any one know what lumens they are as standard? and with LED's will the mini maglites still function in candle mode?
A white LED needs more than the 1.5V of a single battery and so you can't simply replace a filimant lamp with an LED. Circuits to chop and transform up the Voltage exist but are probably too large to fit the original AAA maglite.

LEDs tend to be a more focused light so candle mode shines a spot on the ceiling rather than looking like a candle. This focused beam also tends to greatly distort any intensity comparison as the LED is brighter but with a narrower beam.

You can always revert back so I'd suggest you get a few and try them.

I have a mix of LED and filament, sometimes it's nice to have the 'dimmer' filament to see something like a map without making too much light.
(25 September 2013, 20:21)Skvez Wrote: [ -> ]A white LED needs more than the 1.5V of a single battery and so you can't simply replace a filimant lamp with an LED. Circuits to chop and transform up the Voltage exist but are probably too large to fit the original AAA maglite.

LEDs tend to be a more focused light so candle mode shines a spot on the ceiling rather than looking like a candle. This focused beam also tends to greatly distort any intensity comparison as the LED is brighter but with a narrower beam.

You can always revert back so I'd suggest you get a few and try them.

I have a mix of LED and filament, sometimes it's nice to have the 'dimmer' filament to see something like a map without making too much light.

righto...i think i'll upgrade 2 of the 4 then the 1.5v is a no no,gonna leave one mini standard and upgrade the other plus the D cell one...there are diff light powers , need some idea whats the nearest to stock wattage/lumens.
I upgraded all of my Maglites with the Terralux LED conversions and have been well satisfied.

http://www.terraluxportable.com/products...sion-kits/
I retro-fitted an ultra bright LED into a right angle military D cell torch with a potentiometer to vary the brightness to suit the task. Now the torch will last weeks on one charge and the brightness can be turned down to increase the lifespan of the batteries considerably more. The right angle unit is easy to clip on to clothing while performing tasks or to stand it up to light a work area - which is not easy with a cylindrical torch lying on the floor. Also the torch still has its green & red lens filters and is waterproof 'milspec'. I have additionally converted a 'C' cell unit the same. The cost for bits is around £5 per unit. Just info to widen the consideration. Regards, TL.
(25 September 2013, 23:07)Timelord Wrote: [ -> ]I retro-fitted an ultra bright LED into a right angle military D cell torch with a potentiometer to vary the brightness to suit the task. Now the torch will last weeks on one charge and the brightness can be turned down to increase the lifespan of the batteries considerably more. The right angle unit is easy to clip on to clothing while performing tasks or to stand it up to light a work area - which is not easy with a cylindrical torch lying on the floor. Also the torch still has its green & red lens filters and is waterproof 'milspec'. I have additionally converted a 'C' cell unit the same. The cost for bits is around £5 per unit. Just info to widen the consideration. Regards, TL.

If only I was so willing to open things up and experiment.
SD pulling kit apart and experimenting is, for me, one of the most important steps in long term preparedness.

Sooner or later every bit of technology we rely upon will fail, as will the backups and the backups to the backups.

Its useful to know how kit functions, how to fix it and how to improvise fixes in the absence of proper spare parts.
Pulling things apart and putting the same thing back is fine. Its the trying the new bits that I don't really do. I used to do it all the time but lately I've just stuck with the basics. Maybe it is a time thing.
Well i fitted a "nite ize" 3 led replacement to my mini maglite today.....to be honest i'm a bit underwhelmed , the light cannot be focused and it's not especially powerful but the candle function still works all be it mostly in an up direction...cost £6.75 from fleabay, hope the battery savings are good cos theres not much else to recomend this.