Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Strength or Stamina
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is a very entertaining series on tv at the moment called "Naked and Afraid". For those of you who haven't seen it, it involves a couple of strangers - one male and one female - who have to survive for 21 days in a survival situation without food, shelter or clothing. They are allowed one item each.

Apart from it being very entertaining watching, it has brought up a couple of points that I'm curious as to how the members of this Forum would react. I don't know if the makers of the series actually chose it, but the men seem to be macho military types (all muscle and grunt), and the woman are slight and seem quite (at first) passive. So far, it seems that the women survive the quite dire situations in better shape. Do you think, that post SHTF, your partners will make a better show of survival than you? Women, after all, do tend to be stuck with tending the family, sorting out the food and all the other little difficulties that keep a home running smoothly. But how about if those skills actually do make survival more likely?
I think that they both need to be of a certain fitness, and have a certain skill base, so by definition they are more likely to be the fit strong type.

This I think is a very good program,... 21 days is a very long time to survive having only chosen one item to help you, so far the two environments, Africa and the Jungle, are the very worst of situations,..so to survive 21 days is very good

.... having said that of course the guy last week would not have survived without the medical attention he received from the stand by doctor,... I think that he should have been withdrawn

As for the women seemingly doing better than the men, that is very often the case, men usually feel they need to protect women, that is in our makeup,..and it has been the cause of the men suffering in both cases,... where as a woman is just as capable in her our right at surviving if she has the skills,... as both of these women so far have had
Posted about Naked and Afraid a little while back. Great series.

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=5620
I have just this moment finished watching the third one on record,... and again it was the woman who really saved the day, her skills were by far the best.

For a survival expert to drink water the way he did was stupid, when I served in the Far East we were taught how to boil water in a banana leaf, they had the leaves and fire,..[ or boil it in the empty coconut shell],....so why wasn't it boiled

She started to cover herself up from the moment she hit the beach, he despite repeating the fact that he burnt easily didn't bother to cover at all,... and in a real survival situation he would have probably died in those first few days when he couldn't do anything for sunburn,....and yet he complained when she came back with water
It's okay HL, if you watch the making of it all in the 9th episode...the 'special' you get to hear he's even bigger an idiot than you expected. Turns out she was weaving him loads of stuff, but he just refused to wear it!!! HAHAHAHAHA what an idiot.
(28 September 2013, 23:59)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]It's okay HL, if you watch the making of it all in the 9th episode...the 'special' you get to hear he's even bigger an idiot than you expected. Turns out she was weaving him loads of stuff, but he just refused to wear it!!! HAHAHAHAHA what an idiot.

Thanks I will watch that,... I really do think that his overall score should have gone down not up
(29 September 2013, 00:05)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]
(28 September 2013, 23:59)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]It's okay HL, if you watch the making of it all in the 9th episode...the 'special' you get to hear he's even bigger an idiot than you expected. Turns out she was weaving him loads of stuff, but he just refused to wear it!!! HAHAHAHAHA what an idiot.
Thanks I will watch that,... I really do think that his overall score should have gone down not up

I've been to the Cook Islands for 5 weeks on my 21st Birthday on a survival style thing. Surviving there really isn't too difficult. I'm stunned how stupid he was. Granted the cool ocean breeze makes it easy to burn as you don't feel yourself getting too hot, but it's pretty easy to hunt a coconut and use the milk and meat as a skin cooling balm. But I guess that's only going to work if you learn to do it before you go out there. If you don't know it, you can't use it. Sitting on a beach platting leaves is boring as hell, but the end result is a wonderful waterproof roof to a hut.
(29 September 2013, 00:09)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(29 September 2013, 00:05)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]

I've been to the Cook Islands for 5 weeks on my 21st Birthday on a survival style thing. Surviving there really isn't too difficult. I'm stunned how stupid he was. Granted the cool ocean breeze makes it easy to burn as you don't feel yourself getting too hot, but it's pretty easy to hunt a coconut and use the milk and meat as a skin cooling balm. But I guess that's only going to work if you learn to do it before you go out there. If you don't know it, you can't use it. Sitting on a beach platting leaves is boring as hell, but the end result is a wonderful waterproof roof to a hut.

I am guessing that the chosen spot was the best spot for filming, but there were all sorts of mistakes made,.. we were taught some of this before serving in the Far East,...

Never pitch your camp on the beach, go back in 10 feet or so = shade and protection from storms and swell

They had their fronts to the sun, so were on the sunny side of the island during the hottest time, so they should have camped on the other side of the island,.... which would also have protected them from that storm wind

They should have moved inland during their time there,.. if they had they would have found that lake that was shown to us from the air,... but that probably wasn't aloud

There was plenty of water anyway, put sea water in a coconut, have the steam hit a large leaf and have the condensation run into one of the bottles they found,....and during that storm, I didn't see one water container out collecting water