Survival UK Forums

Full Version: if it was up to you ....?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
if it was up to you how would you improve this site....?
Don't mean to be rude, but it's not up to us, This site belongs to SD and as such we should abide by his rules and how he wishes to run the site. If you don't like how it's run, well, do as I do and go elsewhere. I use this site as a reading resource, and rarely post.
I agree. The Moderator's word needs to be the law, or there is chaos.

I am learning that some things we may discuss in the US are considered too controversial here. One post of mine was quickly deleted. I respect that decision if SD wants to avoid the "drama." His site, his rules. No discussion is necessary. If people want to more depth on hardening their home so as to better defend it from hordes of armed pirates, vs. lightly armed looters, several US sites deal with those scenarios. It is probably better to go there than to bring it over here where it may bring unwanted scrutiny. I'll leave it there.
When I stumbled on to this site it was what I was looking for, UK based and without doubt a great help to me, and the fact there was people just like me looking for help and advice. I felt at home , I have noticed members of quality and worth no longer post or even bother to reply to threads , that really pisses me off! And we suffer for it , times change and I suppose people do.......as for SD being a force unto himself ,its his ball we are playing with but I believe his intentions are true to SURVIVIAL in inverted commers and there is no room or scope for anything else they are the rules and the confindes of this forum so either live with it or bug out from it its that simple.........start your own forum. As for this thread how can we make it better , get back to basics.....I love posts writtern .....some one taking time to write and actually thinking about any given subject they want answers to or help with and NOT click on this fucking link, that is not interaction WHAT that is. Is I can't be bothered to type and sold as it might be of use bollocks, ,there are times when I think underground media should be posted and very relivant to us all...but I know these types of posts will be for the bin....so I do not bother what would be the point....maybe I am moving on with the now wealth of new Facts coming out on a day by day basis ,who knows . As preppers we evolve and react to threats and risks you can never stop ,to survive you cannot stay in one place, not even this site.....it will either move with it or die on the vine.?
(2 October 2013, 15:42)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]........and NOT click on this fucking link, that is not interaction WHAT that is. Is I can't be bothered to type and sold as it might be of use bollocks,

+1, does my heid in, a waste of electrons and my valuble time to find out it was a load of pish.

Thread hijacking and "facebook" style thread hijacks are another thing that does my heid in. (IE the thread going off on a social direction, with snide digs and little personal jokes thrown in for good measure)

i'm on the fence with thread replies that are like war and peace, there are some nuggets of info in there, but you've just to read the tripe to get to the actual UK relevant content.

I agree with both sides of the argument about alternative/underground media stories, same as religion and politics, it can be a VERY touchy subject.

I've been an admin and a moderator on a few forums over the years, and it really is a thankless task, its also a fine art, i think SD, though not perfect (who is??) is pretty spot on with his judgements etc.

I only joined this forum for UK based content, and to be honest, there seems to be less and less of it every day, Kenneth Eames and NorthernRaider (to name just a few) have written some belting articles, most of it applicable to the UK, they don't seem to post as much, possibly because of all the personal snipes that go on, or all the non-UK content being copied and pasted all over the shop.

peace
+2
I started to lose interest un SUK when those members whom I admired most and learned much from (like Wet & Cold) either drifted away or were driven off by a certain clique of people, Then as time went by I felt the content or quality of the forum was being either dumbed down or becoming more opinion rather than fact based. But sniping / trolling towards people I respect and the Americanisation of SUK was what was the nail in the coffin.
Cut n paste posts, obscure conspiracies and other stuff that I felt down valued UK prepping replaced researched and fact based articles like those done in the highest quality by folks like Lightspeed and Wet & Cold, and that was a great loss in my opinion.
I raised my fears and concerns with SD and he chose his route and I chose mine, anyway what does it matter forums come and go, evolve and change, flourish and fade, I just moved on and feel much better for it.

Always move forward there no point in looking back
Cheers M’dears
NR
I think this is a very interesting post and people's opinions are important to hear.

Actually, that's what I'd like to hear more of. More people asking questions and more positive responses. Some people phrase things wrongly and they come across as being a negative-nancy, even if they don't mean to be negative.

But really, that's all I'd change. I'd ask people what they wanted to know and how their preps could be helped. We're all on here because we have stuff we need to know/ask/learn, and we're also on here because some of us have information we can provide.

I want to hear people's requests for help. Questions like, how can I hide my car? How can I double the distance my car can travel? What is the best food for bugging out? What bag would you recommend for....? And things like that. I want people to post up their victories like HL and his Behind The Compost Super Cache. Or SD to tell us about his latest hunt. As well as people to tell us about their mistakes, like NR blowing up the solar panel (haha, I still laugh about that....Urm, my solar panel is smoking!!!). The thing is, we all make mistakes. No doubt I'll bust my foot (or my whole self) through the ceiling while building the loft storage. But that's part of the fun of prepping. Trying, having a go, then learning a lesson, whether success of failure. Then post about it so everyone can have a bit of a laugh, an ooh-ahh, or whatever.

I would say I'd like to see the news section back, but then we'd be back how it was a while ago where there was 15 active "Today's threads." and 12 of them were news articles. Not an issue, until you realise that 4 or 5 were of the same thing.

So, to improve on the forum, I'd just like to see people posting their thoughts, developments, changes, realisations, projects, and the alike. For me, the fact that nobody has actually posted about their success of failure on the September challenge of trying to make fire using self made tools was a real surprise. But people were not asking for help with how to do it, or anything like that. I think it was TL that said it's a skill we should all know, or be learning, but nobody really seemed to be keen on taking up the challenge. I tried with one of WnC's challenges, and I won. Not because I was a success, I won by default because nobody else even tried. I won a £70 one man mosquito mesh tent. The thing is awesome!!! Stored in the house ready for some summer fun! Have used it 8 or 9 times! Thanks mate. Anyone want some awesome prizes? Try to make fire by rubbing sticks together. Nobody tried, so nobody won any survival gear from me. It's free gear! Whether I said I was going to give a prize or not isn't important, people shouldn't need encouragement to improve their skills.

Unless you know everything there is about homesteading, bushcraft, construction, electronics, and the alike, then you should be asking questions. What I would do to improve the forum, I'd get people to ask their questions.
I posted a lot of stuff I found on other sites, trying to help this site keep going forward, especially over the summer holiday months when it was VERY quiet, but my efforts were sniped at and I was jumped on from a great high just because most of the stuff I posted was American in origin,or people just didn't see where I was coming from, so I've given up posting anything new and am monitoring the site but not posting much. I am spending most of my time on another UK preppers site which is VERY new(only started next month) and I am trying to help get that one established.
i to would like to see the news section back[prepper/survival related]
also on p2s thay had a section called under the bridge where anything went , if you wanted to get something off your chest you could even the nut jobs said what they wanted you know ,lizzard people , who shot jr , god speaks to me ...Tongue
it's shame that both NR and PB feel that way as I personal have gained a hell of a lot of valuable information of both

wasn't around for wet and cold but I have read some of his stuff whilst looking back on the older posts
Pages: 1 2 3 4