Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Update on getting the OH on your side
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, folks, I think I've managed to get my lovely OH interested - at last! - and not before time, I must say.

I've been trying to get him interested in becoming more aware of the problems developing in this country and globally, and - surprise! - I think I struck a chord. We are now going to look for a little generator to at least make sure we have back up power. It may be just a weeny step, but considering his previous opinions on the subject, believe me, this is big.

I don't know what changed his mind. I thinkt it was a combination of things. He was rather bemused by my insistence in buying storeroom foods - just in case - and when I started enquiring how much petrol the car tanks could hold - just in case -, I think his interest was piqued. He is now checking his tools to make sure we are well equipped - just in case.

I realise this might seem a bit petty to some, but to me it's developing gold in the hand. Wish me luck.
That's awesome Mary!!! I'm really pleased for you.

My OH's best friend (works high up in the government) is discussing a move to France. Him and his lady, and my wife and I. She's really up for that. His reason for looking into the move "Have you seen the direction this country is heading?" My response was to just look at my lovely wife and smile.

I think the move idea isn't about prepping for her, because we were looking at South Italy last year, but because it's a move to somewhere with more potential than here.
Smile.... well done Mary,... and Marys o/h,... it is so much easier if both are on the same page, I am not sure where I would be now, if my o/h wasn't just as keen as I am

Did your man watch `Blackout`?
Did your man watch `Blackout`?
[/quote]

No, he didn't, HL, he's not really into that sort of TV. I did - it was a bit scary. I headed for the supermarket the next morning!

(2 October 2013, 20:36)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]That's awesome Mary!!! I'm really pleased for you.

My OH's best friend (works high up in the government) is discussing a move to France. Him and his lady, and my wife and I. She's really up for that. His reason for looking into the move "Have you seen the direction this country is heading?" My response was to just look at my lovely wife and smile.

I think the move idea isn't about prepping for her, because we were looking at South Italy last year, but because it's a move to somewhere with more potential than here.

Having spent just over 8 years in France before we moved to our current place in East Anglia, I can where your friend is coming from. Just a word to the wise though, pick the area in France very carefully. We moved back to the UK because we could see the writing on the wall in France. Super country, interesting people (!), but France has some serious problems looming.
(2 October 2013, 20:41)MaryN Wrote: [ -> ]Having spent just over 8 years in France before we moved to our current place in East Anglia, I can where your friend is coming from. Just a word to the wise though, pick the area in France very carefully. We moved back to the UK because we could see the writing on the wall in France. Super country, interesting people (!), but France has some serious problems looming.

Completely agree. We're looking at a move at the soonest in 2015. So far a 25 acre plot in the middle of Southern France is most appealing that we've seen.
It must be rough on a marriage when one spouse sees the oncoming chaos and the other wanders on, blissfully unaware. I'm glad your husband is now on board, Mary.

My wife and I have been on the same page for over 35 years now, but we lived in an area where blizzards, ice storms, and power outages occurred, sometimes for a week at a stretch. With six hungry children asking "what's for dinner, Mommy", "there's a blizzard outside and we're 5 miles from town" won't fly as an answer. We always had food in the pantry for 2-3 weeks, plus an emergency stash in the "pump room" downstairs, an iron fireplace insert that would keep the house warm enough (60F+) so that the pipes wouldn't freeze, 2 or 3 cords of firewood, and warm sleeping bags for everyone.

I wonder if some spouses of preppers would rather not admit to themselves that bad stuff happens, even to the innocent and pure of heart. Being a prepper means that you have realize that bad stuff can and will happen, your government won't be able to help everybody, and you have to accept the responsibility for your own survival as well as the survival of your family members - not an easy mental evolution for a person who hasn't faced hard times in his/her life!
that great news Mary as said above it will make thing so much easier Big Grin
Jus wish I could get mine onside now
Well done mary! My OH is very much on side ,and makes loads of comments on THe NEWS, bullshit we are fed ,her insights amaze me , best days work I ever did............married her......she,s so bloody lucky!

Did I ever tell anyone on here that I am a absalute diamond