Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Keeping the rain off?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Morning run today, 10 miles (split into 2 runs). Quick question, how does everyone keep the rain out of their faces/eyes?

So far I'm loving baseball caps, but they're not exactly waterproof.

Running sunglasses are a style that doesn't suit me, but also my forehead works well as a way to gather water and push it down into my eyes.

Those big hats with the big rims are, well, too big and unsuitable for running.

Was thinking swimming goggles just for entertainment, but self respect stopped that.

So, the question is, if you're bugged out, how will you stop water getting in the way of your vision?
wont be doing any running post event unless my life depends on it. so i will be sticking to whatever hat i've got on that day ...don't seem to have an issue with rain in my grid in the past whilst running...S13 you must be much quicker than i ever was.
I wear a Stetson,.. or what looks like a Stetson,.. and although I doubt it would be good to run in,.. completely waterproof, [ if waxed from time to time ]... its great at keeping the rain from your face, and also stops the rain going down the back of your neck, certainly my preferred hat in bad weather....and just as good at keeping you cool in the sun too
The problems would be sweat and steeming up s13 if you want full face and head protection , when I first read the thread did not think it was that important an issue .....after years on a motorbike , I can see the need for such a piece of kit , need to think on this one, very good post s13.
I'm enjoying the baseball cap to run in. Does a fine job.

It's just that situation that made me more aware of the issue of rain in your face in general. Please don't think I'm looking for running gear.

Just general living, post SHTF, hunting, planting, maintenance, and the alike, all less easy while it's raining. With heavy rain, your hearing is hampered, so I was considering a way to keep your eyes clear so that you can see if anyone is coming or moving. Just looking for ideas I may not have thought of, that's all.
Wild animals have more sense than humans and generally go to shelter in the rain, so hunting is a waste in that situation.

I am a hat wearer, summer and winter, and have a good selection for any outdoor work or chores that absolutely must be attended to in bad weather.

Other than that, I am staying inside where my mother taught me was the place for all folk with good sense when it was raining.

Running in the rain??

That only happens in one situation;

I ran out of ammo!
I'm with Mort unless its absolutely got to be done right that instant then sack it off til the weather breaks.....did i just say i'm with Mort LOL
Those wideish brimmed Auzzie outback, bush type hats, similar to what Highlander suggests are Ace. They work all year round and I have found them the only thing to keep your head dry 360 degrees and the rain out of your face at the same time. You can work outdoors in them in a bit of rain and not even notice it is raining. Without it then rainwater would be streaming down your face and into your eyes. they are excellent for avoiding this and whilst keeping the head dry, they do not obstruct the hearing - unlike hoods or earflap type hats. It is actually possible that they help to redirect some sound more towards the ear and so to slightly amplify the sound - dependent on direction in relation to the brim. The earlobe effect thing going on! I would advise a brim large enough to deflect most water away from the neck/clavicle but not too wide as the brim can be a hindrance if it flops about in a wind. As you point out SD, the only downside to these style hats is stability in a wind or whilst running. The tried & tested way to compensate for this is to use a chin strap when needed or to let it drop behind over your back on its strap... Simples.. :-)

Alternatively you could always try one of those tennis/golf type forehead peak on an elastic head band.. lol

What about one of those under the brimmed hat, so that if you have to slip it sown behind your back, then the peak will still be there??

Also the wide brimmed hat may act as an air brake if you were leaping from buildings etc.. lol TL.

A serious note - I have tried one of those fold up auzzie hats and it was a disappointment to the point of being dangerous! The problem is that it is not waterproof and at the same time is not of a heat retaining material. I found that even after the copious application of wax, the rain would soak through to the skin. Whilst I did have the benefit of no water running down my face, I also received a very cold head and the temp was still dropping until I removed it. In our temperate climate with cold periods, then the hat is actually a medical liability. I advise all readers out there to take this consideration on board when looking at any hat choice. I suspect it applies to non collapsible/foldy versions and any other type of hat as well. In addition to this, some of the very nice surplus winter gear out there is actually from countries that do not get much rainfall at all even though they are very cold. This results in their particular design of gear being ideal for their national climate, but not suited to ours, no matter how snug it may look. If you want kit to cover many possibilities, then make a wise informed choice.
(Quality trilbys of yesteryear were made out of fur felt. Now that is a superb outdoor material that retains its heat properties in all weathers.)

"As you point out S13" it should in the text Smile
I wear a US issue ripstop poplin bush hat, which has been waxed, and in cold weather under it a knit wool Navy watch cap. This combination has worked well for me for 40 years. The bush hat rolls up easily and fits in a coat pocket. I also carry a large bandanna which works well for additional sun protection.