Survival UK Forums

Full Version: EMP Protection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Anyone have any thoughts on EMP Protection using layers of tin foil?
I've seen plans for faraday cages but just wondered if layers of time foil would be effective enough to protect from an EMP?

Also, is it true that the inside of a microwave oven would provide sufficient EMP Protection?
Simplest thing is to store small devices having FETs in an unplugged microwave oven. Don't throw away an old microwave which stops working, just cut off the power cord close to the chassis and use the box. Test effectiveness of shielding by putting your cellular phone i ths oven, close the door and try to call your cell from your landline. If phone does not ring you gave a good Faraday cage.
Actually, the phone is ringing and you can't hear it because the door is closed!
The search fetched up this thread

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.p...raday+cage

There are other threads too
I have a old microwave and a metal dust bin they both work for me.
Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I threw an old microwave away a few years ago (before I started prepping)
Oldmicrowaves are easy to acquire. Just look outside blocks of flats.
(11 October 2013, 13:32)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Oldmicrowaves are easy to acquire. Just look outside blocks of flats.
Good point, shall keep my eyes open for one...
Sorry if this thread has been posted many times before.
Don't worry about it. In forums the threads wither away and new ones are created but new people may give different answers.
Pages: 1 2