Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Maplin deep cycle solar batteries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Has anyone any experience with these ?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/12v-sealed-lead-...ies-265437

Are they any good ? Good value ?
34Ah battery for £114.99 is totally taking the piss IMHO, don't do it buddy! Sad

Far better deals elsewhere, you can get 125Ah batteries for £89 delivered that are ultra deep cycle and with 4 year warranty. That's over three and a half times more ampage plus a 22% saving, makes Maplin's batteries look like a joke. Tongue
Again as Nix said, very overpriced, you can get much cheaper and more powerful ones on Amazon or Ebay.
Was thinking they seemed a bit expensive, but they looked good, so thought I'd ask
(13 October 2013, 14:51)Bonnox Wrote: [ -> ]...so thought I'd ask...

Always good to ask. If you haven't done so already, click on the "elsewhere" link in my previous post to check out what I've been buying recently. I've bought over 10 of these batteries and haven't had any problems with them yet. Got a possible farm back up system to design and fit and I will definitely be using them again.

If anyone knows of any better deals to be had, I'm all ears! Big Grin
(13 October 2013, 14:51)Bonnox Wrote: [ -> ]Was thinking they seemed a bit expensive, but they looked good, so thought I'd ask

it depends what you are needing them for tbh

they are sealed batteries, so no risk of spillage, and they don't require ventilation when in use, so you COULD mount them in some seriously covert places without the risk of a hydrogen buildup.

you can actually mount them on thier side, like i said, they are sealed.

even "maintenance free" deep cycle batteries vent hydrogen during charging/discharging, and would leak like a mofo if they were mounted on thier side.
Oddly, I couldn't find on their spec as to what type of deep cycle battery this was. Gel and AGM are classified as "sealed" but DO have a regulated valve that will let gases escape if need be so don't be fooled.

Don't know what Maplin are playing at, in their Q&A I saw this:

Q. "I currently use a 12v 7ah battery to run a guitar amp and recharge it using solar panels. What makes this a "solar" battery and would I be better off using this product."

A. "This is a deep cycle battery so can be completely discharged."

It is NEVER advisable to completely discharge these types of battery. It will shorten their life cycles dramatically. AGM are more able to bounce back from this but simple rule of thumb is always avoid a complete discharge.
lol the type is in the title, they are lead acid sealded batteries.

same kind of idea as battery backups for fire alarms etc, normally fitted inside electrical panels
Binnie, me ol' mate, AGM and Gel are both VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) batteries. The question was which of these were Maplins selling as each of these types of battery can have completely different properties and prices.
my mistake! sorry Smile
Pages: 1 2 3