Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Calm in the storm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Really weird one, coming from me that means this is odd.

When everything hits, and you're faced with the storm we all expect is coming. Do you think people will be freaked out by your calm demeanour, and tranquil behaviour?

If the world collapsed all around, and say we were watching it around a friend's house. When I get up and get a glass of water, completely calm, as if it was non-event, and everyone else is stuck glued to the TV, I think my behaviour would probably unnerve a lot of people.

What do you think about it? Would it be better to act a bit panicked to begin with, and then after that put your plan into place?
maybe someone should remain calm and take control??(if that's your thing).
Personally, I'd be off like a shot to initiate my plans from my checklists. Fill the bath, charge batteries, call everyone in, etc. That would look pretty much like panic to someone else.

Most of us won't remain calm anyway. Training helps but we don't really train. Following instructions helps and doing things but we won't do in someone elses house. We would forget something. That is what the lists we spend somuch time writing are for. We need to be back at base preparing to Bug Out or shutting down preparing to Bug In. Depending on whats in your plans.

So orderly panic will be the order of the day for us. The others though will watch in stunned fascination. It is on the TV after all.
out the door and gone like sd...wouldn't be looking calm at all.
(14 October 2013, 09:27)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]maybe someone should remain calm and take control??(if that's your thing).

"Don't panic Mr Mainwaring"
It would depend totally on the situation. Over here we face various situations and have some pretty specific public service instructions as long as the electric is working and the television/radio is operating. After those go down it is reversion to vehicles with loudspeakers patrolling the neighborhoods with announcements blaring.

Forced evacuation, voluntary evacuation, shelter in place, dusk to dawn curview, total lockdown or martial law.

I have experienced all and have seen TPTB use them with varying degrees of success.

However, I can not visualize a time when fake panic would be of any benefit. One loses the respect of all around them while running in circles with their arms in the air squealing like a little girl.

Is that the English version of opsec?

It would be very difficult indeed to convince anyone that they needed to listen and follow an instruction from the person they had just seen in meltdown mode.

Even kids in kindergarten are taught that when the fire bell rings they are not to panic. And the last thing you want is a small one looking at you and being afraid to ask what they should do next, because they just saw you in dufus mode.
Monty, you seem to have a very low opinion of the British! it does make me wonder why you are on a BRITISH forum if you have so little respect?
MB, you've kind of hit on my point.

If you're calm when everyone else is going nuts, that could unnerve them even more. Would a bit of 'fake' shock and amazement be a tool of OPSEC in this situation?
I suppose we would all look worried and blend in to some degree, there will be a lot of people who will panic, I don't think they will be looking to close to our reactions they will be busy trying to control theirs
I personally don't do panic (neither does the OH), which is probably why I always get stuck organising everyone else. So, it'll be head up and trying to look in control while clenching teeth. The calm duck on the water with paddles going like the clappers underneath.
Pages: 1 2