Survival UK Forums

Full Version: how would you get around(navigate) once TSHTF?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
just imagine its now post TU, the main roads are now jammed with abandoned and broken down vehicles, how do you get where you want to go? not in a vehicle, walking, cycling, small motorbike or even on a horse! personally i'd use back( seldom used) country lanes-if I thought they were safe enough,if not then cycle paths, footpaths and green lanes, keeping off the roads but paralleling them using churches, rivers, electric pylons and other landmarks to find my way. can you think of any other way of getting around your own area without using the main roads?(which may or may not have roadblocks on them).
I've got OS landranger maps for my area, and the area's adjacent, and a compass.

I'm confident i could navigate my way cross country during daylight hours, night travel would be difficult though.

the only obstacles would be rivers, which in winter, when in spate, would be impossible to cross without using the bridges.

if i wanted to travel south of dundee, i'd have an issue as i'd need to go quite far inland to avoid crossing by bridge.
the river severn winds its way right through worcestershire with loads of smaller rivers of shooting it not sure how safe it would be to use post fall but with most of the roads blocked ,it would work.
lots of main roads motorways follow rivers they were the roads of yesterday.
a38
m5
m4
Smile
Since the potential move to France became a much more possible change, I've been looking into powered flight. Gyrocopter, small plane, those sorts of things. There are some places up where we are, that can teach. But it's finding the time, and fund, to do it, without killing our homelife or funds to move house.
(16 October 2013, 12:12)Sunna Wrote: [ -> ]the river severn winds its way right through worcestershire with loads of smaller rivers of shooting it not sure how safe it would be to use post fall but with most of the roads blocked ,it would work.
lots of main roads motorways follow rivers they were the roads of yesterday.
a38
m5
m4
Smile

motorways and A roads, sorry I DID say NOT using main roads!
I think he means he'll be using the rivers that go along those roads.

To be fair, I'll probably be using them for the first 24 hours of the event. But after that, I'll be running parallel to them. Train tracks should be pretty quiet, but when they enter a town/city, a more scenic route will be the default option.

One of the things I'm learning about is navigating by the stars. Very useful post SHTF...but only at night, on unclouded skies.
(16 October 2013, 13:53)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]I think he means he'll be using the rivers that go along those roads.

To be fair, I'll probably be using them for the first 24 hours of the event. But after that, I'll be running parallel to them. Train tracks should be pretty quiet, but when they enter a town/city, a more scenic route will be the default option.

One of the things I'm learning about is navigating by the stars. Very useful post SHTF...but only at night, on unclouded skies.

anywhere near motorways and main A roads post event COULD be "bandit" country!Big Grin I suppose it depends how many people are trying to get out in the first 24 hours? may be safer to parallel them. again train tracks are ok if no one else has the same idea ditto the "bandit" thing. I normally wear a paracord bracelet with a mini compass on it(got a larger one in the car) so I can use that day time or on cloudy nights....provided I know which direction i'm going in!Big GrinBig Grin
(16 October 2013, 14:00)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]anywhere near motorways and main A roads post event COULD be "bandit" country!Big Grin I suppose it depends how many people are trying to get out in the first 24 hours? may be safer to parallel them. again train tracks are ok if no one else has the same idea ditto the "bandit" thing. I normally wear a paracord bracelet with a mini compass on it(got a larger one in the car) so I can use that day time or on cloudy nights....provided I know which direction i'm going in!Big GrinBig Grin

That's a fair point. I think we'd all agree that people have less than 3 days worth of food, on average, in their homes. So the first 24 hours would be a lot of looting of supermarkets and the alike, however, that makes me think that the out of city roads would be pretty safe during this time. After a week, I'd stay well clear from main roads. Definite bandit threats!
around 8k to learn to fly and 1k per year to keep the licence current with the minimum flight hours required with a basic ppl you will just be barely be a pilot and flying like most other skills needs constant practice and honing to improve. great skill to have but pricey to achieve and retain.

i'm hoping not to have to navigate at all...hope to know my surroundings intimately but for fog/blizzard and close country i have a couple of old silva's and a casio watch i can use to walk on a heading/bearing to stop me going in circles.
(16 October 2013, 14:17)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]That's a fair point. I think we'd all agree that people have less than 3 days worth of food, on average, in their homes. So the first 24 hours would be a lot of looting of supermarkets and the alike, however, that makes me think that the out of city roads would be pretty safe during this time. After a week, I'd stay well clear from main roads. Definite bandit threats!

yes, I agree with that. it all depends on how quickly the sheeple react to the event, it may actually take a few days, even a week, for them to realise there is even a problem, in which time someone else has got out and is far away. a good knowledge of the area and the bad/rough areas to avoid would still be to someones advantage though, local knowledge is always a bonus.
Pages: 1 2 3 4