Survival UK Forums

Full Version: winter projects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well the nights are closing in , its getting cold , for me its my busy time in THE MAN SHED . The wood for the stove is piled up ...the new kettle is ready and that's where you will find SS most days if no work or nights if I have , this is where I excell, making and doing STUFF I am in my oils here , that said what projects do you have lined up for This winter , I have lots of things to get done , for example I changed my heating system this summer got in a new multi fuel boiler to run the whole cottage ,hot water,central heating...at the expence of loosing the Rayburn...which is sat over my shed doing nothing.....and I miss that old bugger .....sooooooo I intend to get the old gal into shape ready to install into another position as another back up for heat ,hot water and cooking, just one of many projects and no doubt more great ideas coming from members on here, happy days.!
going to try storing apples , got plenty iv already started and have stacked them in the carboard boxs you get with aldi beans ect, ill put them in my larder [nice and cool] not sure about my shed worried that pests may get at them.

lovley smell when i open my larder door....Smile
Got to put in a new kitchen.
taken on a new allotment closer to home and it is rough,will take most of this winter to clear it.
Cutting lots of wood, getting used to walking a few miles each day in the cold (possibly snow.) Maybe doing a practice bug out or two.
I have just got another garage for storing kit in so putting in shelving etc. also hoping for some decent snow been along time since I made snow shelters
well, looks like you guys going to have a winter close to what we have in estonia every year.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/443462/...ast-for-UK

so, don't wait until snow starts to fall from the sky. buy your snow shovels tomorrow. wide one for clearing thin layer of snow from your home driveways. couple of 40-50cm wide aluminium full length with comfortable handle high quality shovels, one in the car, one in the home for heavy snow.

if you have snow+mud tires, put them on your car. check weather forecasts every evening. if it predicted to snow, wake up an hour earlier. even if we have snowy cold winter each and every year, somehow it is always a big surprise for the local authorities, communal services and of course for the thousands of motorists. be prepared for the lines in car service garages, gas stations and snow shovel shortages.

check your car coolant liquid and windscreen washing liquid (we use -25'C liquid all trough the winter).

change the windscreen wipers before bad weather comes, good visibility can save somebody's life. it is getting darker earlier in the winter and you better make yourself more visible on the street, use pedestrian safety reflectors (in my country pedestrian safety reflectors are mandatory to use in the dark time when moving in the streets and roads).

drain your unused outdoor equipment and water vessels out of water outside your home. in case of frost all water containing water heaters, water cooled engines, jars, bottles, canisters, tubes, piping can be destroyed by expanding freezing water inside them. it is not enough to open the vessels jar to protect it from ice expanding, it has to be emptied.

some thoughts about being in good health at winters. in some 20 years i had no bad flu cases and i think that is why:
-take a lot of walk outside, get a outdoor hobby at winter, but be certain to where appropriate clothes. when you enter warmed rooms or car take of your head wear, unbutton or take of your upper coat to avoid sweating
-eat more vitamins containing fruits and veggies
-visit less or avoid public gatherings indoors, e.g. cinemas, theaters, school meetings etc. after visiting public places e.g. shops, offices, public transportation wash your hands. in fact wash your hand every time you have an opportunity when outside your home. at work never use your coworkers pens, computers and other stuff without washing your hand afterwards
-try to minimize your contact with your friends with pre-school or school age children (that if you don't them of your own of course). kids are the most tend to spread the infections they get at schools. sounds paranoid, but usually there are only a couple of waves of flu at winter. and of course if you have somebody ill at your home don't visit your elderly relatives
-if you double- or triple-glaze your windows and improving your home heat insulation don't forget your house has to breathe. don't make your house air-tight hermetic
Mrs BDG wants a proper store at the side of the chimney breast for logs, rather than a couple of trugs on the floor. Above that she said she wants a storage cupboard for tinned and preserved goods that are next in the roll to be used. A wine store above that (old house, high ceilings, plenty of space and it means if the good reds are up a height, they are less likely to be quaffed).

Finish off my patio - it is a terrace I created, about 35 sq/m, front wall 5ft heigh - it has took some back filling bringing in old bricks and rubble scavenged from skips in the area - always knocked and asked people who have the skips if I can take, then bring home and smash it all up small with a big riveting hammer. It would have been much less work to buy in 20mm, or doli or MOT1, but where is the fun in that?!

After that, new greenhouse to put up, many log piles to get moved in front of the patio Austrian style, garden to get back in shape from not growing this year, two new metal sheds to put up, new ceilings in living room and dining room and re-plaster living and dining room.

That is on top of the day job, two days a month cutting and splitting wood and collecting manure whenever I can.

Keeps me busy and I do not have to be a gym wanker to keep myself trim.

Hope to get a few nights cod fishing in too, but it is probably dying off now until February.
(17 November 2013, 23:01)BDG Wrote: [ -> ]Mrs BDG wants a proper store at the side of the chimney breast for logs, rather than a couple of trugs on the floor. Above that she said she wants a storage cupboard for tinned and preserved goods that are next in the roll to be used. A wine store above that (old house, high ceilings, plenty of space and it means if the good reds are up a height, they are less likely to be quaffed).

Finish off my patio - it is a terrace I created, about 35 sq/m, front wall 5ft heigh - it has took some back filling bringing in old bricks and rubble scavenged from skips in the area - always knocked and asked people who have the skips if I can take, then bring home and smash it all up small with a big riveting hammer. It would have been much less work to buy in 20mm, or doli or MOT1, but where is the fun in that?!

After that, new greenhouse to put up, many log piles to get moved in front of the patio Austrian style, garden to get back in shape from not growing this year, two new metal sheds to put up, new ceilings in living room and dining room and re-plaster living and dining room.

That is on top of the day job, two days a month cutting and splitting wood and collecting manure whenever I can.

Keeps me busy and I do not have to be a gym wanker to keep myself trim.

Hope to get a few nights cod fishing in too, but it is probably dying off now until February.

Plenty cod out there if you can cast far enough. For years I couldn't until my old neighbour showed me how to do it. If you can sling 6oz the length of a football pitch, you're sorted Smile
I have fencing and arks to build for the pigs and a pond to dig, but the fun project is adding CNC control to a heavy old milling machine I just bought.
Pages: 1 2