Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Smallholding club
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I belong to a smallholding club This is a list of the coming courses that are free or a small charge. I think you will agree some really useful courses there.

Trap, Snare and Kill Rabbits
Begin with building your own rabbit trap and snare step by step with materials supplied. Learn the legalities around trapping and snaring. See where traps had been set the night before to see what has been caught where you will be shown the correct way to despatch and prepare them.
Shown and guided through the ideal places to set traps. You will have the option to buy the trap you made at the end of the day.
You will receive an attendance certificate for trapping and snaring rabbits for control.

An Introduction to basic ferreting
On the day you will learn: Basic ferret care, the legalities involved, learn the difference be-tween active and non active warrens. Watch how to correctly set nets and the correct entry of ferrets.
There will be ferrets and nets available to buy on the day.

Beginners guide to sea fishing & fish preparation
Learn how to catch and prepare some of the seas finest offerings, including; Cod, Bass, Dover sole, Dabs, Whiting etc. Whilst we are fishing you will be taught:
The required knots. How to make your own rigs. What rigs, baits, weather conditions and locations are best suited for each species. How to present bait correctly. How to cast.
At the end of the fishing you will be shown how to gut and prepare what has been caught as well as other species that will be provided on the day.
The day will end with some freshly Bar-B-Q'd fish.
All bait and equipment will be supplied free of charge for use on the day.

Top bar bee hive making
Build and learn how to construct a top bar bee hive, one of the easi-est entries into bee keeping. [materials and equipment supplied]
Tuition on why the hives need to be constructed in a certain way and to precise dimensions.
Learn basic bee keeping skills. See how to make bait hives. Learn about swarm attractants. Visit and look at some active hives.
Option to purchase your hive at the end of the day.

Fun & factual farmyard experience for children
A great fun & factual day experiencing what goes on in a working farmyard. Come and feed the lambs, baby goats, chickens & much more.. A true hands on experience, so bring wellies and expect to get mud-dy!!

Getting started with Alpacas
A hands-on introduction to the practicalities of keeping alpacas
We will cover, day to day care Health & nutrition Planning your field - fencing, runways, catch pens. Choosing your alpaca Training - a trained alpaca is a happy alpaca Training the handler - alpaca psychology! How to grade and sort your alpacas fleece

Group Sheering Week-end
Watch and learn how sheep are shorn
Bring your flock along to be professionally shorn

Skin curing course
Learn how to turn rabbit skins and other skins into useable hides.

Cheese Making Course
Learn the art of cheese making.

Starting with Sheep
This course promises to be fun but factual, showing you all you need to know about keeping sheep. This is a very busy time for us and you will get to see mums with their lambs at foot as well as bottle feeding a few orphans.
You will learn the basic husbandry needed to raise sheep and how you can progress into breeding for yourselves, plus a few tricks of the trade. A very hands on course, so expect to get muddy!!
Maximum: 8 people Course cost: Members £20

Future Courses
Guide to Making Bio-diesel
Bait Digging and Costal Foraging
Samphire Walk
Foraging for the Table
Beginners Guide to Sea Fishing
Fungi Foray
Introduction to felting with alpaca
where about are they being held?
Looks good. Where are they though?
Most smallholding clubs run courses like this, I know its a few hundred miles from you S.D. Have a look for smallholding clubs near you I think its well worth the tenner for membership that I paid just for these courses alone let alone all the other benefits apple pressing days etc.
Great post again UKS .....very usefull going to see if there's a local one for me .
Just missed a course Autumn Foraging with Darren Gallagher—( field sports enthusiast and vermin controller).
He has written several books under the name of Jonathan Darcy ( field Sports enthusiast)
These are:-
Hare Coursing
A decade of Darcy
Canny Catcher
The working of Jack Russell terrier
A Passion for Coursing
Deer of Great Britain and Ireland
Scooby
The Great Game
Running dog addiction
Dead game
Advanced air gun hunting
The Nick Stevens Story
An Obsession
He is at present writing a book which teaches you how to make a snare, catch, kill and cook a rabbit. This is under his own name.
FORAGING INFORMATION.
Sounded like a great course.
Some really useful courses there, I confess I had never heard of smallholding clubs before.
found this online, don't know if it helps or not, found a Devon smallholder association. http://www.smallholder-agriculture.co.uk