Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Survival skills timeline question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm a little curious with this, because it's something I've been greatly considering.

How long would it take to learn all the skills you'd need to go off into the wilds of the UK (think Wales, New Forest, Dartmoor, Peaks, Lakes, etc) and be able to live entirely off the land...regardless of the season?
a life time , no matter how much you already know you will never know it all and will learn something new every day! but saying that you can pick up the basics in a week , to survive in all seasons 4 weeks spread over a year . to survive totally off grid forever you would have to practise for several years before
Agree with tigs a lifetime and more you are always learning new things
In agreement with Uks and Tigs, Plus you learn a lot from experience. For example what you learn from your first winter self sufficient is probably a lot of things you didn't learn from your training and classes. The same can be said for extreame weather you weren't expecting.
I also agree with all above S13, its a hard life and a lot of manual work .....any mistakes ....even small ones can mean life or death.....I know I bang on about my grandfathers small holding but that was first hand experience for me as a nipper....my brothers and I used to bugger about a bit only to have grampa sit us down and explain the importance of things and the ramafications of our actions if not followed to his instruction......I can see him now at harvest festival singing his heart out specially if it was a good yield....We plough the fields and scatter......great stuff!
Difficult to answer that one. Are we assuming that shelter would be provided? Would water be available? Would you have enough land to meet your needs? That's just for starters - if the answer to any of the above is no - forget it and book into a hotel!
You can learn the skills needed in a shorter time than you might expect,.... but its the unexpected that takes a lifetime to master
Survive, for how long?

Very few cave men have been found that died of old age.

You can know every skill required, know every eatable plant and every hunting and trapping skill ever devised and get caught by a freak storm, falling tree branch or slide down a ravine and break a leg and be dead like Fred.
(28 October 2013, 21:47)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]Survive, for how long?

You can know every skill required, know every eatable plant and every hunting and trapping skill ever devised and get caught by a freak storm, falling tree branch or slide down a ravine and break a leg and be dead like Fred.

Of course you could, I think we all know that,... but its not answering the question

I would have though that someone with your experience could come up with a more informative answer
(28 October 2013, 21:51)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]
(28 October 2013, 21:47)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]Survive, for how long?

Of course you could, I think we all know that,... but its not answering the question

I would have though that someone with your experience could come up with a more informative answer

Two months, three days, six hours, and twenty three minutes.

And that is as good as any answer anyone else will come up with.

Accomplishing an education of any form is determined by the difficulty of the skill and the intelligence and dexterity of the learner.
Pages: 1 2