Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Holidays
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Christmas will soon be on us, what comes is do we go away to relatives or stay at home, I know the OH is on about going down to her mothers for Christmas.
My question is how do you feel about going away for ANY holiday and leaving all your preps behind and staying with someone that has got not many or if any preps in?.
I would imagine, Christmas is the best time to be elsewhere.

Everyone buys a months worth of food, for just one day.

WaylanderCool
My OH and I did this recently with our trip to the Arctic. I did make sure that the GHB was stocked. 3 days of food - first aid kit - Lifestraw - usual stuff that might get us to a place of departure for home.
We never go away over Yuletide; it's too difficult with livestock anyway, but it's a time to relax, take stock and plan for the new year ahead.
Simple one for me, all my daughters and their familys decend on US ....total mayhem but we love it, ...I hate leaving my prepps TBH although alarmed and family checking every day, we would still take our three day bobs with us but, not quite the same....besides the animals need looking after . We never go away for christmas or new year anyway,we like peacefull these days
We rarely go away, but I feel sure that during those times when we are away, that our stores are well enough hidden,... though I know what you are saying, it does play on your mind a bit,.. but all you can do is make sure you GHB is complete,...and hurry home
Next week i'll be bobbing around in a tub on the Med for the week....you have just got to be fatalistic about it.....shit happens....will have a few bits and pieces with me but I won't let things take over my life.
Last weekend was our 1st wedding anniversary. We went to Dorset, so that we could have the dogs with us. Other than extra fuel and GHB's, the only extra preps I took with us was extra dog food and extra dog jackets, because of the storm, and if we had to get home while the storm was going on.
Spectacular thread drift chaps, you should be proud. Nearly a page relevant to the OP and then 2 and a bit pages of bollox about which fairy tale owns xmas

For what it's worth (if anyone still remembers the OP) Sometimes you just have to live a bit and not worry too much about what might happen. If it's a choice between 2 weeks in barbados without preps or 2 weeks at home with preps I know which one I'm picking.

If the holiday is closer to home, ie visiting the inlaws, then you would still have all your normal kit in the car and your GHB's etc so that would help somewhat

Anyone staying at home because they are too afraid to leave their preps for even a week would suggest to me that they urgently need to apply a hefty dose of reality to their prepping
As has been said before, prep but don't ruin your life now for a few tins of beans later (unless you're Terry who hates beans haha).
Pages: 1 2