Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Cost effective solar set up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This is basic guide for a small cost effective solar set up, by saving money you’re going to have to do some DIY, I will do other threads on some of the DIY your need to build, but the parts are in this thread.

Remember this is a guide, you decide how many panels or batteries or other you want.

30Amp 12v/24v Solar Charge Controller £38
OR
20Amp 12v Solar Charge Controller £24

[Image: YGQCBDnJ3tEN0Ei56ASZqIqpY.jpg]

PV 80watt Solar Panel Mono £115 X 2 £230

[Image: 7OphcaeLXjG7CxhflzoFwKZ.jpg]

MC4 PV Solar Cable BLACK 10 Metre for Solar £21 buy two panels £42

[Image: y9mnfXftcJgxbYEfLCClGDdl.jpg]

Numax Sealed Leisure Battery 75Ah LV22MF £66.67 I would suggest 2 plus, £133.34

[Image: bjK0mtWj2WNsk6QJhKaarLNQ.jpg]

2 Core Round Flex (2182Y) 0.75mm² x 50m £12.96

[Image: TpWqLtXcJCkq5nbWldAJkVbxK.jpg]

Terminal Posts

[Image: nd7i41.jpg]

Waterproof Cigarette/Cigar type accessory socket - Rated at 15A

[Image: 70ac_12.GIF]

HEC Weatherproof Garden Box IPX4 £25

[Image: dvmu1d.jpg]

Moulded Enclosure £10

[Image: gLOqPr4trbMQgmFzTtdncFab5.jpg]

Earth Block 8 Way £2 need two £4

[Image: 1RRL2d6HxEH30jDq18aXWuCQ.jpg]

SPST toggle switch, Rated 20A @ DC 12 V Available in red, green, blue and amber £2.20 get min 6 and get mix colours

[Image: WFylvdJXQ3FOY6bJkf2iKemY.jpg]

Connector Strip 30A £1

[Image: UN4byO8ngKZcvmQw6NGKwNSDh.jpg]

Metro In Car 12V 4-Way USB and Adaptor £5 price changes all the time.

[Image: 41XGs9SsPVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Ring RINV1100 1100W 12V Power Inverter £140

[Image: 3JTjS5aZ1wdKMtKLih85GmZ.jpg]

Product Specification

» Continuous Rating: 1100W
» Constant Use: 12 Hours
» Peak Power: 2200W
» USB Charging Socket
» Battery Voltage:12V

High quality inverter, ideal for the professional user requiring AC mains power for heavy duty applications.

» Professional quality - continuous rating in excess of 12 hours
» Digital display shows battery voltage and appliance wattage

All PowerSourcePro inverters include the following safety features to protect the inverter and the appliance connected:

» Low battery voltage alarm and shutdown
» Over voltage protection
» Overload protection
» Temperature protection

£668
The £668 was the better controller and 2x solar panels plus two batteries, and a pro grade inverter.

You could build in stages and get one at a time and build up over time, here is a 1x item costing and a cheaper inverter.

Ring PowerSource Inverter 300W £50

click me

£358
I missed a few bits

Halfords Negative Battery Cable 45cm (18") £5

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...yId_255205

Halfords Positive Battery Cable 76cm (30") £6

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...zone=PDPz1

Halfords Negative Battery Terminal Connector £4

Halfords Positive Battery Terminal Connector £4

Add 19 to the £358 build or £38 to the £668 build.

............... ................. ................................
thyanks mate you put alotof time and effort into this post thanks a million

b/d
W&C seems to be the penultimate survivalist. Has a finger in so many pies.
(21 December 2011, 18:13)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]W&C seems to be the penultimate survivalist. Has a finger in so many pies.

Yeah but seriously how do we retain his knowledge and research?, I've seen him stun people with very high quality articles on other forums, then disappear off the face of the earth. Cant we keep him in a cage of something>?
Mmmm. Hunting and trapping someone as skilled as W&C. It'll take a lot of work. How can we bribe him instead.
Jellied eels and flat stale beer at £10 a pint is I believe a common aphrodesiac for suvverners.
It is a case of not what I know but what others don't post making me seem active on the board and that will always be the problem, I am willing to step out into the open and by doing so break a rule of prepping it seems many others will not do this, we are not getting the teaching benefits of a lot of good minds, other than a bit here and a bit there, is a shame.

Everything I do is as I have said basic easy to learn with some effort and once put in practice the knowledge grows with daily use of project, this solar build I am on stage 3 of it now, I will try find stage one pic to show how I started it off.
(21 December 2011, 22:31)WetandCold Wrote: [ -> ]It is a case of not what I know but what others don't post making me seem active on the board and that will always be the problem, I am willing to step out into the open and by doing so break a rule of prepping it seems many others will not do this, we are not getting the teaching benefits of a lot of good minds, other than a bit here and a bit there, is a shame.

Everything I do is as I have said basic easy to learn with some effort and once put in practice the knowledge grows with daily use of project, this solar build I am on stage 3 of it now, I will try find stage one pic to show how I started it off.

Got a funny feeling some of us are going to be pestering you to run a lesson or two when we actually gather ! Smile
W&C,

You have to remember that many people reading this don't know anything at all really. It is theory and they are looking to learn. Everyone that contributes is providing knowledge and experience and it is gratefully recieved. I've been doing this for years and I appreciate what you are doing.

When TSHTF we will all know we did what we could to help others who recognised the risks. It is all we can do.
As long as its not in my pie, I'll bite his finger...
I like my food, dont finger my food...
Pages: 1 2 3 4