Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Advanced face scanners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(4 November 2013, 20:48)uks Wrote: [ -> ]http://news.sky.com/story/1163551/tesco-...ll-adverts

I seen this earlier. I'll stop going to tesco for petrol as soon as they implement it.
Stopped going to Tesco as soon as I stopped doing guard work! This has made both myself and the wife remove our Tesco mini-clubcards from our key chains!!!

WAY TOO FAR!!!
Trouble is it's probably the shape of things to come, others will probably join soon enough.
(4 November 2013, 20:48)uks Wrote: [ -> ]http://news.sky.com/story/1163551/tesco-...ll-adverts

I reckon I'd rather not have my 'shopping experience' 'enhanced' and would take my business somewhere else.

I also reckon, many others would do the same and I would hope that they were in sufficient numbers that it scared the retailers through lost custom.
Well we will shy clear of Tesco's,.. not that we often come across them, as GG says, maybe a lose of custom will make the others think twice

Having said this, many garages, if not most of them use some sort of CCT cameras, so we will still be monitored if only for a different reason
I don't buy cheap supermarket petrol, nearest one with a filling station is 25 miles away.
Its fairly innocent in its intent.....kind of like going to an old grocery store where the owner knows you so well that when you go to pay him for items he tells you that he has some of the special cured ham that he knows you like. That bit I'm OK with.

The problem is that the scan captures your image, that image can be tallied to your transaction ( very accurately if the transaction is electronic) and in that case the image capturer can now correlate your image with your identity, and your purchasing habits. Then we're into police type ANR type processes to track people. Not good, and an infringement on personal liberty I feel.
I don't use tesco as a point of principle, but supermarkets for years have been profiling people. If you have a loyalty type card, they analyse your purchasing habits to send you special offers and if you did not tick the opt out box, sell your data (and your purchasing habits) to third parties.

As has been said, they have been using CCTV for knocking on decades and they have had the chance all along to link your image to what you buy, more so in the last 10 years or more of digital imaging.

Unless you buy everything from small shops and only pay cash, the trail exists and there is nothing that can be done.

As it is, the data stored on people at the moment by such organisations is benign; they analyse the stuff you buy to try and sell you other stuff. It may be, that in the near future, it is used for more nefarious purposes - to exert undue influence upon you or profile you as not conforming to type.

Case in point is Amazon. Look up a certain item and be told what other people bought with it.

"Hmn, wonder what could be put together with those items"
Its the same on many things,.. BDG has just mentioned Amazon,.. well it is the same with Emails,.. my email address is with mail.com... at the moment [ tonight inc ] half of my email home page consists of adverts for metal detectors,... guess who is waiting on a new search coil, after researching for a few days?,... how did mail.com know I bought a new search coil which has not even been delivered yet
Pages: 1 2