Survival UK Forums

Full Version: The Throwing Stick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This is a simple enough thing.

Get a stick, and throw it.

The idea is to get a reasonable thickness of stick, that when thrown accurately and with enough force, can be used to knock out or kill prey. Used for hunting.

Here's an awesome view on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR1j7VA9jF4

It might sound overly simple, but if you can find a good stick, and stalk prey to a semi-decent level, you have easy food!
nice idea, if we were out in the woods and had nothing else then go for it, but personally speaking my throwing anything sucks-cos of an old elbow injury...so I would prefer to have a small catapult in my pocket instead.
Throwing sticks must be as old as time, and I am sure that they are very good,.... I am a bit surprised that the stick is uniform thickness along its length, I would have expected it to be heavier towards the end [opposite to your hand ],.. in order to increase the spin, and so the hitting power
(10 November 2013, 16:31)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I am a bit surprised that the stick is uniform thickness along its length, I would have expected it to be heavier towards the end [opposite to your hand ],.. in order to increase the spin, and so the hitting power

yeah, I thought that too when I saw it, odd that.
He was pretty damned good with that thing but he was gibbering like a shell-shocked budgie! I reckon he could've got through that clip in 3 minutes instead of 12!
(10 November 2013, 17:31)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: [ -> ]He was pretty damned good with that thing but he was gibbering like a shell-shocked budgie! I reckon he could've got through that clip in 3 minutes instead of 12!

Yeah, probably, but it's the best vid on the throwing stick I've found.

I like how it can be used to stun deer and the alike to buy enough time to then finish them off.

Guess what I'll be practicing for a few hours every week...haha
the Irish used to have something called a shelaleigh(not sure of the spelling), which was a weighted carved stick, which they used to knock out rabbits and squirrels, and sometimes people!Big Grin
Made of blackthorn - used to have one hanging on my wall!
(10 November 2013, 18:17)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10 November 2013, 17:31)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: [ -> ]He was pretty damned good with that thing but he was gibbering like a shell-shocked budgie! I reckon he could've got through that clip in 3 minutes instead of 12!

Yeah, probably, but it's the best vid on the throwing stick I've found.

I like how it can be used to stun deer and the alike to buy enough time to then finish them off.

Guess what I'll be practicing for a few hours every week...haha

I hesitated to reply to this, not wanting to get into an argument with the stone age members ( not you scythe ), but can I suggest you spend your time learning how to throw a spear instead ? It's easier and deadlier. Your chances of stunning a deer with a thrown stick are slim, at least with a spear you'll have a blood trail to follow and the deer will have trouble running with a spear sticking out the side.
Equally valid Steve.

I'd like to be awesome at both, so am practicing with both. But much more so with the stick, because walking about the fields with a stick looks less dodgy than walking about with a spear. With a stick you can say 'just walking the dogs.' Then launch the stick at a target and shout a random dog name, followed by the word FETCH. Haha
Pages: 1 2 3