Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Does this make sense?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right now, coming up to winter, when fuel is treated to keep is smooth and ungloopy in the cold temperatures, when the weather is changing quickly into single figures, when the leaves are falling from the trees. Now when the power stations are over worked, the log burners under-fueled, and the gritters soon to be over stretched. When resources in the wild are becoming scarce. Right now, at this time of year, the survivalist must step up and change.

We must change our fuel storage, from Spring and Summer fuel, to winter's treated diesel and petrol. Our summer socks to winter warmers. Our shorts and tshirts, changed to thicker and woolier wear.

The plants that drop their seeds need to be planted. The plants that grow their bulbs must be harvested. The bulbs that are ready for the earth need to be set in place.

Foraging for fruit has become a scrounge for acorns and elderberries. Summer's field born salad has become a challenge to find. But so must the survivalist adapt their skill set. They must expand their range of seasonal knowledge. The wilderness shelter from the warm summer nights will not be as comfortable in the debris shelter of the winter.

Finding dry wood will become a challenge, and so starting a fire will irk the fair season, summer 'survivor'.

Now is the time to challenge your limits, to learn which plants allow you to feast in the winter. To learn to find and prepare wood for the fire. So to should it be with shelters. You no longer have to keep off the rain and a little chill. Dealing with minus temperatures means at least 5 feet of debris on a basic debris shelter.

The skill set is different, the plants for food are different, the clothing is different, even the lay of the stars is different. So too should we, as survivalist and preppers, behave in a different way. In a way that recognises the changes in the world. The changes of temperature, of plants, of skills required to survive, should all be something we recognise and adapt to.
We should all have certain things to do as winter approaches, our snow chains are in the car, and will stay there until April together with clothes sleeping bag, food/water and a means to heat it.

We have quiet a bit of summer grown veg in the freezer, and even some still in the ground

The works vans have their winter kit issued, de-icers etc, and our winter uniform are the order of the day most days

We have all our winter fuel in place, logs, coal and Peat,.. we even have oil for emergencies

.... but we have already been caught out,.. shame on us,... we have one very high road, the gradient is 1 in 4, for three quarters of it, it is single track and the only road to and from our destination [ friends house ].. and it snowed the other day, when it snows this road always gets it,....and we had to wait with one other car, for the snow plough to come and clear the road before we were able to get out,... we should have known better...Sad
NOT owning your own house puts a limitation on just how much we can prep, for instance: we are ALL electric, Housing Association have just replaced the (economy 7) storage heaters with....more storage heaters! equally crap and equally useless, but we have our own heating(electric) which is more efficient and cheaper so we use that instead. i asked HA when we moved in if i could install a log burner-at my own expense- but the answer was an emphatic NO, so we have a log burner stored in the garage and a small stock of logs(several dustbins full) and kindling "just in case", we also have a camping stove and a rocket stove for backup, we also have a portable gas heater and a couple of cylinders for heating- not really supposed to have these either under our tenancy but what the hell! along with the usual candles, lanterns and torches, also sleeping bags and throws. i long for the day when our numbers come up on the lotto!!Big GrinBig Grin
I already winterized the house, serviced the motorized equipment for winter storage, put away the summer clothes and got out winter duds.

Each year anther tree falls in the fence row and I add to the stack of firewood. I have enough to get through the winter if I have too.

I put new tires on one vehicle and the Jeep has good tread. I have driven it through 2 feet of snow in times past and I fully intend to remain indoors if such a snowfall happens. If I have prepped properly there is no reason for me to be out in that crap.

That reminds me, I should bring the little generator up from the storage building and put it in the tool room at the house. That way I will not need to drag the big set up the hill if we have a storm.
yeah it makes sense,

though petrol doesn't suffer from waxing, so i'm quite certain there isn't winter and summer blends.
(11 November 2013, 09:37)Binnie Wrote: [ -> ]yeah it makes sense,

though petrol doesn't suffer from waxing, so i'm quite certain there isn't winter and summer blends.

Actually YES there is summer and winter petrols as well and summer and winter diesel. A quick google for " Winter and Summer Petrol" will provide you with the specs, grades and dates the petrol stations have to change over by.

The Importance of Fuel Stabilizers in Modern Petrol

by John Buchanan and Colin Coates
http://www.swtvc.org.uk/node/35

Petrol has a higher volatility in the winter in order to enable cold starting. For this reason it is better to fill the tank with a winter grade fuel (16th October - 14th April) rather than a summer grade. LIMITATION of LIABILITY The information given is provided without warranty of any kind. The use of any of the information herein is done so at that partys own risk. (This topic has been summarised in earlier bulletins,but it warrants repeating and additional detail is always helpful. Ed)