Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Checklists for different scenarios
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do you have them ready ? It's easy to forget things when you are under stress, but a checklist costs nothing and restores order and morale.

An item on a checklist can be as simple as "take the kitchen knives upstairs" but these things can be lifesavers.
I must admit, that I dont do checklists, check lists are like plans, in real life nothing or very little in an emergency ever goes to plan, this is why emergency services practice different ways of doing things,... check lists are of little value, because situations change

Plan in general, and have a good supply of required items ready to go, change these items if necessary in the days leading up to something,.. nothing much happens with no warning at all,... you should never be in a situation where you forget something, because you should already have it packed
(10 November 2013, 22:01)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I must admit, that I dont do checklists, check lists are like plans, in real life nothing or very little in an emergency ever goes to plan, this is why emergency services practice different ways of doing things,... check lists are of little value, because situations change

Plan in general, and have a good supply of required items ready to go, change these items if necessary in the days leading up to something,.. nothing much happens with no warning at all,... you should never be in a situation where you forget something, because you should already have it packed

A check list is a plan, and a way of making sure the plan is followed when stress and fear would otherwise make you forget things. It's not a list of contents for your BOB, that's already packed.
I thought a list,.. a check list was a list of things that you check off,...and a plan is a plan,...well at least that's what I thought them to be
(10 November 2013, 23:37)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I thought a list,.. a check list was a list of things that you check off,...and a plan is a plan,...well at least that's what I thought them to be

I'd agree with that a list is a list and a plan is a plan
(11 November 2013, 00:14)I-K-E Wrote: [ -> ]
(10 November 2013, 23:37)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I thought a list,.. a check list was a list of things that you check off,...and a plan is a plan,...well at least that's what I thought them to be

OK, I give up.
(11 November 2013, 00:46)Steve Wrote: [ -> ]
(11 November 2013, 00:14)I-K-E Wrote: [ -> ]
OK, I give up.

It's annoying isn't it when people don't get the reason you're posting what you are hu?

I have a small check list. Nothing amazing. But I do find them helpful at times.
I get what you're saying Steve.

Plans are plans, and check lists support those plans.

Highlander brings up a reality that nothing goes exactly to plan in an emergency.

For our group we try to make plans that are flexible enough to meet many potential scenarios.

Your point about checklists is a good reminder. Lists for various scenarios are a good idea to ensure that all resources available are directed at the scenario or group of scenarios that are being encountered.

A simple example is to develop a checklist for summer and winter car kits and GHBs: The lists will evolve over time as the kit is perfected. The list is a record of gained experience that I used to ensure that nothing is forgotten when the seasons change.

Thanks for the reminder

PS,

I think our friend Northern Raider works on this principle. He is able to lay his hands on lists for almost any scenario at a drop of a hat.

The secret is to make lists your friend, and not your master of course. Flexibility, adaptability and improvisation will always be crucial.
(10 November 2013, 21:43)Steve Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have them ready ? It's easy to forget things when you are under stress, but a checklist costs nothing and restores order and morale.

An item on a checklist can be as simple as "take the kitchen knives upstairs" but these things can be lifesavers.

This makes perfect sense to me.

EG: I plan to have my car ready for any foreseeable Winter scenario. I therefore have a checklist of things I must do to make this so...

The checklist is simply a tool to help us meet the plan...
I've mentioned checklists before. We all do it even if we don't do it formally although without a checklist you sometime forget things.

I have checklists for my BOB, medical bag, hunting bag with the contents and what I need to take. We make shopping lists, checklists by another name. I have checklists by each system so I remember what to do. My reloading kit for example. It is OK if you use them every day you eventually remember but things you use infreqently in a stressful situation you forget things. We put things in a diary,another checklist so we don't forget. Checklists don't let you and are a very important part of life never mind prepping.
Pages: 1 2