Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Success!!! I think.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think I may have got my wife a little bit more on board. All thanks to watching the news.

Watching the footage of the hurricane/typhoon in the Philippines, she commented "poor things" when some kids were scrapping over some bottled water. I immediately picked up on it & told her it could very well be our kids. The conversation went on for a bit, mentioning Katrina, Sandy & how people in the supposed richest nation in the world were starving after & nobody helped them. Then I asked her (I know it was nasty of me, but it worked), could she look our kids in the eye after they've not eaten for 4 days & tell them it's her fault & if she listened to me, they would've had food. She agreed to storing some emergency food, just incase. This is on top of her letting me buy a months worth of food at once (though as we use it, we end up with very little at the end of the month) & letting me apply for my SGC.

A few minutes later though, came her conditions Sad
• only 7 days worth (I'm sure I can prep big portions then ration them if/when needed)
• only if we can fit it into our food cupboards (which are packed normally after our food shop)
• she only wants things like beans, hot dogs, soup etc..

Although her conditions seem quite restrictive & limiting, I'm sure I can talk her round some more. I hope.
Geordie Rob, look for things you normally buy("store what you eat, eat what you store") but look out for special offers, say packs of baked beans at half price-you can point out to her that you can buy twice as much for what you normally pay.
(13 November 2013, 11:29)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]Geordie Rob, look for things you normally buy("store what you eat, eat what you store") but look out for special offers, say packs of baked beans at half price-you can point out to her that you can buy twice as much for what you normally pay.

I'd never actually thought about it that way. When things were on offer, I used to just put the cash saved in a jar & use it next time (or for anything else we needed during the month). But it makes even more sense to spend the same amount, but buy double & put the extra to one side so it's kind of prepping for free.

Cheers mate Smile
(13 November 2013, 11:35)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]
(13 November 2013, 11:29)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]Geordie Rob, look for things you normally buy("store what you eat, eat what you store") but look out for special offers, say packs of baked beans at half price-you can point out to her that you can buy twice as much for what you normally pay.

I'd never actually thought about it that way. When things were on offer, I used to just put the cash saved in a jar & use it next time (or for anything else we needed during the month). But it makes even more sense to spend the same amount, but buy double & put the extra to one side so it's kind of prepping for free.

Cheers mate Smile
its the way I do it Rob, normally buy "little and often" just enough to keep ticking over, and so that I don't get everything from the same batch, but when stuff is on offer I multi buy and increase the stocks that way, when we use a tin I restock the next time we go shopping so the "amount" of stock never goes down it increases but slowly.

I have never subscribed to this buy huge amounts in one go-especially all in the one place-that way if there is anything wrong with the batch we could lose the entire stock of that item. anyway some of us are on a budget!Big Grin
It is a good start though and you can build on that.
That's awesome mate!

If you have the kitchen cupboards that are slightly suspended above the floor (I think they all are now) and have a small panel below the bottom of the door, kind of like a skirting board sized flat bit. You should be able to rip that off and store tins in that space.
(13 November 2013, 19:15)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]That's awesome mate!

If you have the kitchen cupboards that are slightly suspended above the floor (I think they all are now) and have a small panel below the bottom of the door, kind of like a skirting board sized flat bit. You should be able to rip that off and store tins in that space.

A kickboard you mean?
Lots of space under there.

Also quite a bit behind the panel on your bath (if you can be arsed to take it off) - good for hiding things...
That's the one mate. The kick board. It's just a little taller than an upright standard UK tin.

Sneaky sneaky