Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Change of Course?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With the recent tragedy in the Philippines high on the News, has the scale of the disaster and the reactions of the people changed how you view your prepping? Has it made you think about making any changes?
Thinking of storing some preps away from home,if my home was destroyed,u would loose it all

Thinking of storing some preps away from home,if my home was destroyed,u would loose it all
I will admit that it did get us talking about it,... but we didn't think that our plans needed any change because of it

... but the continued state of the country needs watching, because we are seeing much of what would happen anywhere in the world after such an emergency
I don't really see that much to take from this sad dissaster, we are in a different climate and not under the same threats but i did notice how many people were "punchdrunk" and not working to improve there plight...quite shocking even though i've seen it before.
Just a gentle reminder that any rubbish you have lying around your place could be picked up by the wind and kill you.

Sure 200mph winds are not really realistic in the UK in routinely inhabited areas, but 60mph gusts could pick up a bit of wood and put it through you like spear.

Mostly make sure your building is in good order and your land is tidy. Just as we should not gift our enemies weapons with which to attack us, we should not let the weather have missiles to throw.

Other than that, sitting around looking and feeling sorry for yourself gets you no where. Stand up, man up and do something.
An observation about "punch drunk"

Do you think this is "shock"?

I suspect that even hardened preppers would have a degree of shock but would quickly (more or less) move into their operational mode. Maybe its something to do with "I know where my stuff is and I have a plan"

That fact that you have a plan means that the "shock" period would be minimized.

Allons-y
Nov 23 !!
yes for "punchdrunk" read shock.....you see the people milling around and bleating about problems and needs....its raining and no shelter/make one(no shortage of materials after all...your thirsty and its raining/catch some rainwater....scared of an outbreak of disease/get the bodies in your vicinity in the ground pronto.....you see all these capable people not looking out for themselves...I just don't get it.
Its shook and fear,..... one day they had everything the next nothing,.. most people would appear `punchdrunk`,..I suspect that by now most people will be getting stuck into something, be it constructing some sort of shelter, or trying to move out,... but certainly in the first couple of days, people tend to sit and cry,.. and who can blame them
just time wasted though which will just increase there misery in the long run...need to crack on and act...maybe thats just me but i i'd prefer to be occupied
(13 November 2013, 20:36)MaryN Wrote: [ -> ]With the recent tragedy in the Philippines high on the News, has the scale of the disaster and the reactions of the people changed how you view your prepping? Has it made you think about making any changes?

It hasn't made me consider any changes Mary but I think it may have had an unforeseen circumstance - and a welcome one. As many of you may already know, my SWMBO is most resistant to the idea of prepping but we have a neighbour and friend who is Thai and my good lady was talking to her about the consequences of the typhoon and of the Boxing Day tsunami and was told by her that the Thai government do the FEMA type recommendation about having a number of days food and fresh water in emergency storage. I think it really surprised SWMBO to hear such a thing from a different source (other than me, that is!) and since then - well, I'm not raising any flags or anything but she does seem just a little more receptive...

Even though it came from disaster and the misfortune of others, we can but hope...
Pages: 1 2