Survival UK Forums

Full Version: BOL Location?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
anyone got a spare £185K lying about? http://hebrideancroft.wordpress.com "sandwiched between sea and mountain, Isle of Lewis, 2-54 hectare croft with common grazing rights,4 bedroomed house, polytunnels,30 x 45 steel barn and stone shed both with electricity, various animal housing. tel: 01851 672 776 or email sharonhebrides@gmail.com (permaculture magazine-winter 2013)
Looks good...my dream bol is on the shetlands but very similar to this in many ways but smaller and cheaper.
the trouble(I think) the further north you go the shorter the growing season is and the harsher the winters are.
You say that like its bad...I see it as good....if its harsh then its not going to be oversubscribed....I've said it before...I like cold better than hot and if I could afford to do it then i'd do it using all the green tech available.
that's true, I like it somewhere in between, not too hot not too cold. was talking to wife about islands and such this morning and she said she would go further SOUTH, maybe some of the small estuary islands around Brittany.
The growing season is certainly shorter up here, I think that we are about a month later than most of your guys down south, and less further north,...although once we get going our daylight hours are a lot more than yours,..its often sun up by 4am and we could still garden outside at 11pm
I also think that the climate is changing and we are entering a new ice age. So subtract some digits from the temprature and some time from the growing season unless you prep for it by looking at what you can do to compensate.