Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Big Knives vs Small Knives
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a quick question really. I'm hoping it will develop into a deeper discussion.

I'm looking more towards fixed blade knives, and large ones at that. Not because I'm a knife guy. I'm really not set just on knives as a survival blade (still testing out my first tomahawk...all weather testing is required) but the more I think about safety and versatility, the more I lean towards fixed blades.

The same goes for the size of the blade. I'm not looking at defence, more for outdoors camping and survival skills (think bushcraft style) use.

Would love to get some other people's thoughts and ideas on these kinds of knives.

For me, a large knife is different from a machete. Think blade lengths 20cm-30cm long.

Got a Cold Steel TrailMaster Bowie on order. When it's here, I'll do a full review for everyone.
I have lots of knives of various sizes and types , I think like most stuff in life there is no one wonder knife that does it all , its just to big of an ask to expect a single knife to cover all bases , I figure you probably need three at least....just debating which ones to put in a cache....multitool is a definite but I can't make my mind up which other is going in with it KaBar marine knife(70's repro)or my typhoon stainless divers knife...as its being buried i'm thinking stainless! swiss army Spartan will be making up this particular trilogy.

I don't own a decent quality locking folder....really must get one for the BOB legal spec one, got folders lots of em victorinox/wenger/normark and opinel but not a really tough quality locking one
I've got loads of knives from survival knives down to pocket knives, but the ones I use most on a daily basis are the small lock knives( buck style), these can be bought cheaply and sharpen nicely.
I like a small gransfors hatchet, stainless morakniv and a couple of foil wrapped sterile scalpel blades. I used to use a carbon steel mora, but got bored with constantly cleaning it up, the stainless is nearly as sharp. Related, I have a swisscard in my wallet that has various small tools, it has been really useful over the years, particularly the excellent tweezers which have removed more blackthorn splinters than I care to remember.
I have many knives but for bushcraft/survival use i would choose a large fixed blade and a smaller fixed blade or good locking knife. You cant process firewood or do larger jobs with a small knife, and skinning an animal or carving etc are difficult with a larger blade. Im no expert just my opinion.
My two go to knives are a British service kukri and a Fallkniven H1 .The kukri is my favourite knife ,it can do the work of a large knife and also double as a hatchet .It's an extremely versatile design.
The Fallkniven has a 4"" blade and is perfect more more detailed carving work.
I've owned and made many knives and axes,i'm very happy with my current combination.If i could only use one it would be the kukri.
Most of my knives, and I only have a few locking pen knives and three fixed blades,... most of them are quiet small, I only have one larger fixed blade,... sort of Bowie knife size,.. I think most jobs can be done with a small blade, I keep the bigger one for wood chopping for firewood tinder, that kind of thing
(1 December 2013, 13:54)Steve Wrote: [ -> ]I like a small gransfors hatchet, stainless morakniv and a couple of foil wrapped sterile scalpel blades. I used to use a carbon steel mora, but got bored with constantly cleaning it up, the stainless is nearly as sharp. Related, I have a swisscard in my wallet that has various small tools, it has been really useful over the years, particularly the excellent tweezers which have removed more blackthorn splinters than I care to remember.

I used to keep a swiss card in my wallet until airport security got so hot(turned up at the airport a couple times and had to post it home rather than surrender it)so it now lives in my first aid kit in my BOB i like it very much.
For general Bushcrafting, survival type activities I tend to go for any of the Frost Mora range of knives, could do to be a little thicker in the blade, but on the whole do the job. As a rule of thumb a knife with a blade about as long as the widest part of the palm of your hand will suit you for your build and will do most jobs from small carving jobs to battening logs down for sticks and cleaning and butchering game, a flat or Scandy grind is preferable to a concave or secondary bevel grind if you are looking to do any wood carving type jobs e.g. spoon and bowl making.
Knives are like boobs - the bigger the better Wink

I take a selection normally, MOD knife, couple of custom made ones, svord folders.

Often I find I only use the little svord peasant, most other camp work can be completed using the laplander and an axe.