Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Grey Man- Under Your Coat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Grey Man- Under Your Coat
NR

With regards to the low profile “Grey Man” philosophy of low visual impact dress and behaviour for preppers I did a bit of experimentation this afternoon with the able support of my son.

I wanted to know how much EDC or Bob gear a prepper could wear about him that still allowed him to move and walk normally without drawing attention to him or herself.

Rather than go through all the ins and outs I think it’s easier if I just move straight onto the findings.

Remember these findings are averages and approximation that will vary from prepper to prepper depending on build, gender, shape, weight and age. Your mileage may vary so experiment for yourself but for 5ft 11 me weighing 14 stones my finding were thus

Wearing Cargo Pants then changing to Wrangler jeans I could most comfortably keep a 4 inch lock knife, butane lighter, multi tool on the belt, flashlight on the belt, cash in my pocket and small nylon wallet still move effortlessly without bumps or bulges from kit being noticeable.

The belt worn tools vanished completely when I put a Sweat shirt over the top, same effect with a micro fleece to, same effect happened with a Poly-cotton hoody.

I found that regardless of whatever else I wore I could easily wear a small Silva compass, plus puri- tab capsule and mini sharpie as a necklace around my neck completely out of sight under a V neck Polo shirt.

Moving on I then found I could wear a multi pocket travellers / photographers vest containing light sticks, map, folded bandana, dust mask (disposable) more puritabs, 3 granola type nutrition bars, spare batteries, micro AM /FM radio, mini pry-bar etc UNDER a plain, boring, black uninteresting and unadorned fleece jacket that will attract little attention..

Gloves, watch cap etc sat comfortably in the pockets of the fleece.

Now the interesting bit,

I measure up myself wearing my DPM NATO wind proof smock I’ve no doubt most of us have similar large bad weather coats like Gore-tex jackets with numerous pockets. I could easily add more food and supplies to the smock without the pockets looking bulky or loaded.

THEN, I found that after doing some measuring up and with the aid of a sling and providing that I did not draw in the waist or hem draw elastic cords on the smock far in theory I could fairly well conceal an short Air Carbine (even easily if it had a folding stock) but bending over would be an issue.
I estimate using figures off the web that I could also probably conceal a Boomslang folding and telescopic crossbow under the coat with better mobility than with an air rifle.

Summary
So if a prepper found him or herself stranded in a built up area when the SHTF and needed to get out on foot without attracting attention to themselves a bit of judicious dressing and packing could see them walk to safety fairly well equipped and without advertising their status.
Naturally in 2011 UK this won’t work if you try to use many forms of public transport as the authorities regularly have operational security checks at transport hubs to hunt Islamic extremists and other nasty people

Interesting test. I'll try that myself. I wonder how I can fit a sword in somewhere.
(22 December 2011, 18:57)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting test. I'll try that myself. I wonder how I can fit a sword in somewhere.

Well to be honest I dont have a full sized sword, BUT I do have a wakizashi which is 28 inches long so if i fastened a fastex clip to the scabbard and clipped it to a harness the wakizashi would simply vanish under my smock. !!!
Boomslang Recon Crossbow is way too heavy NR I wish they would make a lighter version, I really do like it though it hits hard, just the weight is so wrong for having the wording "Recon" in its name.

Btw I saw you asked if it could shoot other bolts in the post I made, the answer is yes don't mind what the website says, it shoots the 6.5 Pistol bolt very well and all other bolts.
(22 December 2011, 20:34)WetandCold Wrote: [ -> ]Boomslang Recon Crossbow is way too heavy NR I wish they would make a lighter version, I really do like it though it hits hard, just the weight is so wrong for having the wording "Recon" in its name.

Even just for low profile transportation ??
W & c I'm baffled now cos the cross4u site says it only weighs 3 LB so even if it was double that 6 Lb thats easily portable , isnt it?

Draw Weight: 120lb
Velocity: 220 fps
Weight: 3lb
Range: 60m
Length: 54cm

I wonder if you have been looking at the old military issue boomslang which IIRc was about 7LB in weight ?
Just got back from shopping I will post reply soon
I am going to do pics tomorrow of one of my sons wearing it.

Btw I made a sling bow might be better option?
just for interest NR, how far can you walk carrying all this lot??
(23 December 2011, 10:27)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]just for interest NR, how far can you walk carrying all this lot??

Just as far as normal with the pocketed gear total weights I'm guess in less than 10lb, obviously that doesnt include a bow or air carbine, But it is warmer wearing multiple layers, so trying it mid summer could be an issue.
(23 December 2011, 10:39)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]
(23 December 2011, 10:27)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]just for interest NR, how far can you walk carrying all this lot??

Just as far as normal with the pocketed gear total weights I'm guess in less than 10lb, obviously that doesnt include a bow or air carbine, But it is warmer wearing multiple layers, so trying it mid summer could be an issue.

wearing long coats and multiple layers in high summer may get you noticed by Mr.PlodBig Grin
I think we have to maybe consider losing army related gear as well the sheep might direct anger to us thinking we are part of the establishment.

My kids are still all in bed they don't make them like they used to, I mean I did having them help me hang a flag pole like 2 am lol but I been up since 8am.

I will take a pic of the recon bow worn by one of them.

As for weight yes it is 3lb I consider that too heavy NR but I might have my bush craft head on, maybe shtf we won’t travel as far, but anyway it is heavy and feels it and also quite bulky, I really wish we could get one like that made of some sort of light alloy, that would make it a true recon.
Pages: 1 2 3 4