Survival UK Forums

Full Version: millbank bags?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My bol has a couple of fishing ponds and a freshwater lake as my primary water sources....i'm wanting some modern millbank bags to use as my first stage filter until i can get a better system rigged , just wondering if anybody knows of a source for millbank bags , i wan't new rather than surplus/used...ta
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millbank-Style...4897.l4275

£7.50 each, free delivery and new!!
The latest Bushcraft and Survival magazine has a write up about a new source for them and is offering them to readers at a special price of £19. The link to their website does not appear to be ready though but they give a phone number.
I've never seen the point of these, easy enough to rig something up with bottles and a bandana or two to filter the crap out.

Probably better off just buying a proper water filter, or knocking up a sand filter?

I'm lazy though, so if I can do something in one step rather than two then that's what I'll go for.
how about a DIY charcoal filter?
charcoal filter is the plan but you need to have had fire first so the millbank bags are for the first few days and the ponds i shall be using are not the best looking water....can use any tight weave fabric for taking out the bigger crud but i like the bags as they are handy , tie em up fill em, place your catch container beneath and then get about your other business..purpose built and so easy to operate.
you could always BUY a bag of charcoal and put it in your preps!!TongueAngel
i could buy a bag of charcoal but that takes up valuable space /weight in my BOB if space and weight wasn't an issue i'd have pre built a baby berky using a single candle and brought that along....i have sand nearby and i'll make my own charcoal the two drum's of my cache will become water carriers/storage and i have 2 ltr poly bottles in the BOBS to make filter housings ..the millbank is just belt and braces first line filtration...works perfectly for my plans....if i can find a couple good ones
I would hope you guys realize that there is a difference between the activated charcoal used in water filtration systems and the crap you burn in the Barbie or make at home?
Pages: 1 2