Survival UK Forums

Full Version: overspend!!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When I decided I would start prepping in earnest I set a budget of £100 per month....usually I'm pretty good with all things fiscal but somehow my spending has got away from me a little, in the five short month's I've been prepping I should have spent £500 but I have spent £871 without getting the calculator out that's about a 75% overspend is that how the start of prepping normally begins?...my new years resolutions are to check my overspend on the budget and get fitter.
It is not unusual since when one starts up they seem to need everything and should have had it yesterday.

The real skill is to keep from overspending on junk that serves little to no purpose.

If your spending was on reserve food supply, emergency heat and light, and a few security upgrades your conscience should be undisturbed.

If it was on backpacks, bashas, trick torches, survival knives and titanium billy pots you might consider toning things down a bit.

I consider my most important prep my emergency money stash, or as my son calls it, "Get out of Dodge money". One can avoid a lot of misery just by having enough money on had to get out of town right now. Not tomorrow after the bank opens, not after a stop at the ATM, not after going by a friend's house.

Some might say "you can't eat money".

That might have a germ of truth, but when was the last time coin of the realm was of no use in GB?

I think it was some time back before they put up Hadrian's Wall.
I think it is probably very normal.

The trick is to put a budget of only £50, then you'll overspend at £99.50 EXACTLY haha. No, it's totally normal mate.

It's the excitement, fear, and enjoyment of everything new. Plus it's the human nature to want to have and hold, to feel more secure.

As long as you can afford the extra 75% increase, don't worry too much about it.

I say to my wife to look after my prep money, otherwise I do the same thing.
This happened to us for a while, its quiet normal.. but we have settled down a lot now, but it took a long time
I try and keep to a budget per month but if I overspend then I underspend subsequent months so overall I spend per the budget over the year.

Sometimes you can't stick to a budget easily and if you can afford it there and then you can get bargains.

They key dynamic is if you can afford it.
Yep I overspend also, but my conscience is sattisfied by one point ! And that is "most prepping supplies are always usable" so if you overspend they, Can be used later regardless of cost so any expenditure is not wasted!
my major spends have been on water and security so fairly usefull...a berky and 500 00buck shells but the rest spread through all the other area's , clothing,emergency lighting a new bigger more suitable bob, winter car kit.... not much frivolity really.
yes it does goes OTT to start with as there is so much one needs but after a while it does taper off and slow down as we get more selective in our purchasesBig Grin
Dude, I've been overspending for years.

I have a bit of a 'buying problem' - if I really want something I'll buy it - just have to sneak it past the missus or man up and tell her how much I've spent.

Only problem I'm running into now is our house is literally full. I've got a garage that's stocked from top to bottom, all the way from the back to the door - I can barely get in there now...
Yeah I've got stuff in the boot I've not fessed upto yetBlush
Pages: 1 2