Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Ten Tors?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone on here do this while at school? Neither me or the Mrs got to do this at school and are looking at doing it unofficially just to tick it off. Wondering though if we will be able to as a lot of it is through Danger areas on the os map. Because the army are involved with Ten Tors maybe they open up areas for the couple of days it runs each year?
Anyone available to comment on this please?
Cheers for looking.
As long as the red flags are not flying, you are allowed access to all parts of tbe moors.

http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/visiting/...ing-ranges

But beware there are other hazards such as bogs, as well as unexploded ordnance in the danger areas.
DON'T GO ON THE MOOOORS, and if you do make sure it's not a full moonConfused
certainly not when I'm about!!!TongueBig Grin
Best check the website 'cus with typical Dartmoor weather you can't see 50yds let alone the flags. Weekends are mostly ok.
Cheers for the replies! Don't worry, I was the beast of bodmin moor, that's why we had to move up here.lol
We jokingly said best time would be when the thousands of teenagers will be doing it for real, plenty of help if the Mrs stands on some ordnance.
Did the Ten Tors, Young Warrior, the Lykewake and the Niemagen march way back in the 70s, all hurt like hell, IIRC you have to enter teams to be active participants in the TT,, sorry dunno bout doing it out of season but you could contact your local garrison commander and see if they open it up at all.
(12 January 2014, 20:39)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]you could contact your local garrison commander and see if they open it up at all.

As long as the army aren't using the ranges for live firing (check the link I posted above for dates) then you have free access across the whole of the moors, no need to ask for permission, just get on and do it if that is what you want to do......
if you check the Dartmoor map-not the OS one- the one you get at the Dartmoor tourist information office- you will find there are SOME areas where you are not allowed to go and not just the firing ranges. I suggest you do your homework before you go. take appropriate clothing as the weather on the moor can change in an instant-as some tourists have found to their cost. do not treat the moor as a joke as it can bite you on the arse when your not looking.
As BP says you do need to plan ahead.

A local girl was kill was participating in the Ten Tors a couple of years back when the weather turned bad!
Pages: 1 2