Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Crap into coal ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This has to be worth watching and chatting about because if it can be made to work then chances are it could be downscaled for family or group use enabling the re-use of our food and bodily waste not requiring an Anaerobic digestor or a pond and read bed.

I'll wager some of the off grid community problaby already has a working system??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...nergy.html
interesting technology and it doesn't seem that complicated either when looking at the company website either. Would be interesting to see how much you could get out of the system in a family situation.

suspect that it bit more complicated and a closer look at the company patent would be a good idea (the patent is registered with the company)
Perhaps if they hook up a funnel to our politicians mouths we'd have an endless supply of sh*t to convert into something useful? Rolleyes
Up here some folks salvage coal from former colliery spoil heaps, other collect sea coal that washes up on the beach, and there's still little spots where coal lies just about on the surface in quantities just about sufficient for one households needs. After the SHTF up here I intend to erm...... Access the numerous open cast mines that are still plentiful in the ne. I'll try / attempt to build up enough scavenged coal to see me through a winter, this will be ontop of any firewood I can blag Smile
post SHTF i'll be composting our "waste" for use on the garden, urine too(nitrogen).
It is not really a new thing, I can remember someone doing an A-level biology practical and making some back when I was younger at school.

A lot of energy is used to get up to temperature and while I would say you would not have to do it at such pressures mentioned (20 bar I think it was) the higher the pressure, the less heat you need as a rule of thumb. It would be a pretty special bit of kit that would handle 20 bar that you could fit a lot of crap into and remove the product from, move around, lift onto a fire etcetera.

Worth doing on an industrial scale, but if it was me post SHTF, my sludge would be going on willow beds.
been thinking about this during the day and I agree about industrial scale before the SHTF
after we could well be living a semi subsistence and would working something like this be taking too much out of the land where we maybe living?

if you process the green waste to give fuel rather than compost it and return it to the garden you will soon drain the resource in the soil. Same with live stock crap helping to feed and maintain pastures

Maybe I have been reading to much about permaculture on a blog I found a few days ago?
My thoughts turned to getting a pressure cooker and doing it on the stove and then I though that I'm probably using more energy todo it.

Methinks a digester connected to a modified genny would do the trick
When I was in public works we digested sewage sludge to draw off the methane and used it to generate electricity, and afterwards added the dried sludge to muncipal solid waste which was also burned, the plant having a combined throughput of one million tons per year and generating 80 Megawatts of electricity on a continuing basis. Metals were recovered from the incinerator ash, and the ash itself used as compacted fill for road construction.

The waste to energy facility used dry lime injection, electrostatic precipitators and filter fabric baghouses which were effective in removing 99+ of particulates from the flue gas as well as controlling other pollutants.