Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Maintaining SUK computer communications in a grid-down world
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A thought:
Anyone with, or planning to have, SSB mode capable communications gear, will be able to communicate computer to computer using that equipment, as well as using it for traditional voice communications.

Using a technique called PSK31 the range of SSB capable radios can be increased considerably beyond that of normal voice communications, and of course transmitting digital code will reduce the number of people who will be able to interpret that communication.

PSK31 is computer keyboard and screen display between two or more computers. It uses radio waves to transmit and receive digitised messages through SSB capable transceivers. Unlike this forum or e-mail, it is not asynchronous. Its live communication, like talking, although short bursts of text ( messages) are prepared effectively offline and then transmitted as a burst of data. This is quicker than live data transmitting for those of us who are slow at typing.

The good news is that the software needed to be able to operate an SSB capable radio in PSK31 mode can currently be downloaded from the Web as freeware. Although interface cables are preferable, they are not mandatory so just using the software, a computer with sound card, loudspeaker and mike in close proximity to the radio will be effective.

Freeware software can be downloaded here: http://www.digipan.net/

PSK31 is most probably not going to be legal to use on the soon to be allowed SSB CB standard. It is a Ham-only methodology at this time. But it will work over any SSB capable transceiver, SSB CB included.

With the downloaded software, and a suitable transceiver or SSB capable shortwave receiver, we can immediately ( and legally) listen and interpret PSK31 transmissions from around the world.

So, as a free of charge capability for a potentially grid down world, it may be worthwhile downloading?
Now that, has to be one of the best ideas I've heard regarding comms, ever. It would seem to simplify and increase communication power by some considerable means. It just gets my goat that this sort of stuff is yet again, restricted to HAM use only.
Anything that is half useful seems to require a licence! Grrrr
(7 February 2014, 18:03)TOF Wrote: [ -> ]Now that, has to be one of the best ideas I've heard regarding comms, ever. It would seem to simplify and increase communication power by some considerable means. It just gets my goat that this sort of stuff is yet again, restricted to HAM use only.
Anything that is half useful seems to require a licence! Grrrr

So use it to receive before SHTF, then afterwards you can do whatever you want.

Or just use it regardless, I would imagine that if you're not a heavy user you won't get caught.
Not Mac Compatible...no program to open it. I'll keep searching for those Apple fans.
@S13 - use an emulator
Tried mate. Not working.
Another advantage of PSK31 is you can broadcast on much lower power and a much narrower bandwidth. It makes you a whole lot harder to find!
Hi Scythe,

Maybe Digipan will not work on Apple, but I'm sutre you'd be able to find a PSK31 program that would.

PSK31 is the standard, it doesn't matter who makes the interface software, it all talks to one another, provided the transmitters and frequencies are matched.

For my low power portable station I have an old netbook running Windows Mobile OS and that does fine

Jonas:

Good point, narrow bandwidth and lower power is the stealthy way to operate.
You can get PSK31 programmes for Android and Iphone smart phones. I use it on my Sony Experia mobile phone, hooked up to my handheld radio. We've held communications over several miles from HT to HT using this method, when there was no chance of voice communication.
OR

That's an excellent use of mobile phone legacy capability in a post SHTF world.

I'd forgotten your post abouit using PSK to increase range of FM Mode hand held radios. Were you using mobile phone based coding and decoding in your tests?
Pages: 1 2