Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Protection Plan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
just read Lightspeeds thread on city living...my thoughts turned to my situation.....how safe am I really....semi rural , elevated .....plenty of prepps ...food , fuel , you name it ,and all this ready for eight adults and seven grand children , if the shtf tonight I am ready....sure there are things I would like more of but ......I am ready...... but how ready are the rest of the clan? Wifey on the money ....but the rest will have a steep curve after all dad is mad... so the defence of all I have prepared for......hangs in the balance .....I will have to rely on others who's standpoint will be ...cannot believe this is happening ,and whilst dealing with that , carrying out my instructions to the letter of plans I have thought long and hard about for a long time , a cottage on is own ......just as well paint a bulls eye on the place .....but that's the deal bugging in anyways. I know we have covered threads like this over and over .....but I keep coming back to this senario and I cannot sort of shake it off....this is what concerns me the most, try as I do ......to solve or come up with a plan that stands up I seem to fail or fall short in MANY ways . The point is just because you can live in a rural location does not guarrantee the promised land .....in fact you could well be at the mercy of a gang with no help for miles, at least in a city people could and I suspect would band together if only for preservation of the whole.......what say you lot?
I think no matter where you are there will be problems. In a city people may band together at first but once they realise how much you have they'll cut your throat and take it, atleast if your rural they have to find you first.
Hi SS

That thread I started on City populations was tongue in cheek, with a slightly more serious undertone questioning what would happen if we preppers were to succeed in convincing city populations to move to the country. Of course that's never happen. Also, those preppers who are currently city based know the score, and need not be subjected to a continuous flow of anti-city comments.

I sit with a foot in both camps.

You're right, complete isolation in the countryside brings a different set of problems. Most notably big exposure to attack.

Our rural situation is as part of a small upland hamlet community. We feel safe there, but we are on the far end of the hamlet at the end of a lane that peters out to a small track just after our front gate....Ideal? No, not really....any raid from the rear of the hamlet would hit us first. We're pretty well defended, but not impregnable to a concerted effort...

There is no perfect solution, just a set of compromises that are more or less acceptable to each of us.
A wonderful question.

How safe are we really?

Where we are allows bugging out quickly, but we also have wonderful neighbours and about 1.5 years worth of food for about 6 or 7 people now. Which would be a nice little group for defending our area. Add to that the area for planting and the already established plants...probably more than a few years worth of food. But we would have to be continually vigilant. Not cool or possible.

So, even if we were isolated, in the middle of nowhere, the odds of being able to survive would be dependent on a few things.

Safety equation: X = Safety...the lower the number the better, like a golf score.

X = (Number of unprepared people x distance of unprepared people x extent of the situation) - Government aid factor.

Interestingly, the government aid factor is greatest in Urban areas! If the GAF (Gov Aid Fact) is like they did when the Thames flooded, that could totally cancel out the initial problems of population and distance. However, a negative GAF would increase the resulting danger.
Using the floods as an example, the gov screwed the levels by evacuating and thus opening it up to looters. While the Thames was sorted quickly.

If something does happen, you can be your bottom dollar that the cities will be the first to receive aid, thus meaning that, depending on the extent of the problem and the preparedness of the gov, a city could provide a better buffer for AHTBL (all hell to break lose), while in a rural area, you're more vulnerable and much more 'alone' to deal with a SHTF situation.

It's an interesting situation and some interesting points to consider.
Yes I did dig it LS.....just got me thinking is all ....cannot shake free of it though ....its what gets to me most......oh for a fusion generator to power up lazer guided AK 47s mounted on my roof on all elevations....rigged up to a forcefield that cannot be breeched by anything know to man.....or anything else......just popping over my garage right now...see what I can knock up. !

Could not agree more S13 but I will not say more here.....fuck six of the best off SD think I am on thin ice ....fuck me! Its actully cracking all around me as I type this
Scythe being left alone in the countryside to deal with the situation is absolutely fine by me.

Our community is in bit of a time warp. Like its stuck in the late 1950s. As a group we very used to being pretty much left alone by TPTB to sort out our own solutions. All of us have well provisioned larders, off grid heating /cooking and stores of fuel to keep them going.

A worry we have is that if TPTB decide to supply aid to cities, that aid has to come from somewhere, and sooner or later it will be government forces who will be sweeping the countryside looking for resources. This would potentially put farms, smallholders and agricultural communities up against the military. There would be no holding out against that sort of raiding. This has happened all too often previously around the world. Other than to hide our supplies there is little we can do to counter this.

Even though UK military is hugely reduced in number, If used for the greater good of harvesting supplies from the countryside, their number will be easily multiplied simply by co-opting people from the communities receiving "aid". There would be a ready supply of highly motivated and ruthless volunteers I fear.
LS, Thanks for your post, the only way to be sure of not losing your preps is to cache it underground. It's quite possible they will find secret hideaways such as additional walls, etc.. To my mind, burying your goods is the safest way. Kenneth Eames
A fantastic post LS really well put and I 100% agree...wow! Equally thanks kenneth ....make a note folks ...read them again.!

And by the way folks Grease your tins before you bury them....inside your plastic containers.... AS PER KENNETHS RECOMMENDATIONS ....digging mine back up when this bloody rain stops
I'd rather be where I am now in a rural location than be still stuck in a city suburb, I have a 400 yard clear view right out to the "main" road (A road with 4 numbers after it-local traffic only), most people here I feel would leave in a SHTF and go to relatives/most people are local and have children/parents in other local towns. there are only 2 cities in Devon and they both have Dartmoor between them and us, I don't feel a looting gang is very high on any probable list-its a possibility but not a high one. I have a BOL I can use if everything got bad but bugging in is plan A. a city MAY be the first place supplies would go due to sheer weight of numbers but would also be the first to run out of food because of the same reason.

the military and TPTB will have their hands full controlling the hotheads in the big cities without bothering with a small rural place.
NR the description of your cottage instantly brought the Alamo to mind....i'd gladly trade you're security problems for mine

not NR sorry Straightshooter...ooops

You have probably already done this but i'll mention them anyway...elevated position is mostly good, clear good all round fields of fire , anything that offers good cover or an unseen approach then spoil it(hack the bush down , take the fence out , fill in the gully that sort of thing) just prepare the ground to your best advantage, its amazing how you can subtly channel people into a killing ground with a bit of forethought.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13