Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Gaming machine thingys PS3 X box etc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I try to encourage people to reading a few high quality fictional survival novels when possible to get an insight in part at least as to how society may develop after TSHTF. I am also aware that the video game manufactrurers are slowly but steadily moving away from human versus mutant vampire zombie chavs.

My son an avid gamer showed me a few of the games he has such as
Fallout 3 which apparently was the first of the genre to try and move to just a slightly more realitic scenario.

However he now tells me that some new games are due out next year that are continuing the trend towards more realistic scenarios.

He mentions " I am Alive" and " The Last Of Us" post apocalyptic survivaslist type games where the monsters are less fanciful and could be interpreted as psyched out drugged up lunatics preying on ordinary survivors. IE just like ordinary people living in London today have to put up with.

So if you enjoy gaming or polishing up your tactical scenario skills try those two games out, they are supposed to be much better than Dead Island or Left For Dead.
and yet Microsoft is removing guns from their games and making the bad guys aliens because real people encourage violence.
I like a good computer game though I don't have any of the latest super consoles (PS3, Xbox 360, etc). I am also looking forward to I am Alive (if they ever finish it).

There was a game called Homefront which wasn't that good but featured a section where you went around killing dozens of crazed survivalists.
DayZ is highly rated and gives interesting perspectives on human interaction, as it is possible to team work, cooperate, and the alike.

Personally, it's better to check examples of WTSHTF in real life. There's enough of them available.
We had the two grand sons last week.....they brought their Xbox and I pads .....i was not having any of it ....there is work to be done boys i said...."what work bampi " .....man stuff boyo,s....follow me...over the garage we have a meeting.....Today what we are going to do is ....i list up.....i will cut ...you will stack and bond firewood in the wood store....you will barrow it down to the store stack and bond the wood....pallet wood......then when that,s done we will split and stack the logs ( already logged up ) ....then i will show you how to start the mower...and stripe cut the lawn........they started well....after about 1 hour that had to have a break.....i said okay 15 mins.....this turned to 30 mins i thought just like out on site ...laughed .....but back into it.......about 2 hours ....time for another break bamp ! ....okay boyo,s spect granny making us some sarnies .....we sit down on the bampie table ....eat sausage sarnies and tea....granny said man food for hard working men !.......bampie finished the splitting while the boys went on their I pads . As much as i hate them on these bastard things......i am a modern progressive bampie.................like fuck !
Metro 2033 set in post apocalyptic Russia in the metro stations. These are very good. People have wind up torches, you need gas masks to venture outside, you need to change the filters etc. very very atmospheric.

STALKER shadow of Chernobyl, and call of Pripyat. Set in Chernobyl zone of isolation.

Fallout 3, fallout new Vegas.

The Homefront game mentioned does indeed have a crazed survivalist "don't tread on me" but. It's only about 8 hours long Dan is basically the plot of Red Dawn but with Koreans. The survivalists but is only one level but they have Korean heads on spikes etc. quite harrowing. Has quislings etc as well.

The last of us is supposed to be amazing. But I don't have a play station.

State of decay is a zombie apocalypse as well. You need to get resources, food, ammo, water and building materials to reinforce your shelter. You can attract other people to your group and each person has different stats and abilities depending what they were prior to the collapse. Old, looks a bit dated but is good.

There is a Tom Clancy game called something like the division coming out soon about a paramilitary group of some sort trying to establish control in a collapse situation. Looks very good.
I prefer to read books(real books not those kindle thingies), if anyone has any info on any new prepper/survival type books, fiction or fact, please let me know, I have an extensive library but am always looking to adding to it.
Day z is all about surviving on your own. Most people on that game just kill other survivors so you have to hide from real people

Last of us is excellent. Fungus turn people into zombies but people are dangerous too (it's all single player)

The division looks amazing