Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Seven Oceans Emergency Biscuits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these. The reviews are mixed, and am looking at getting something similar if not the same for my GHB.

Any input on these would be awesome.
I think there delicious but there's a story to this....once upon a time i was a truck driver for a ships chandlers in avonmouth , as these biscuits expire they have to be replaced (5years i think)so consequently there was a never ending supply on offer wherever i went....but i have to admit i like food thats been under heatlamps for hours in the canteen burn't and crusty round the edges ,won't let the chippy cook me fresh chips , i like the burnt ones that have been ready two hours , like tea from an urn thats been stewed to death and pre made with powdered milk , like red wine cold.......so take my recomendation as you will lol.
When I was in the US Navy either Mainstay or Seven Oceans biscuits were stored on board aircraft and in liferafts and small boats in survival kits. In my own emergency food stores for small boats, vehicles or private aircraft, I pack several M2A1 cal. .50 steel ammunition boxes. These contain lifeboat rations of whatever brand the ship chandlers sell, along with plastic jars of peanut butter, fruit jam or honey, and tins of Red Feather butter and Bega cheese, plus a box of 100 tea bags per can, water filter and desalination kit.

I prefer the flavor and texture of Seven Oceans to the Mainstay bars, which are more common in the US. But wish that your oatmeal bricks were available here.
Talking about biscuits, what about those ships "hard Tack" biscuits that were virtually indestructable, as well as inedible, does anyone still make them?
I had a box of these in the 'back of beyond' and got them out
last week as I needed a 'snack' and couldn't find anything in the 'fuddles' drawer.

Had one of them ,i.e. One biscuit which is one meal. Very Dry and crumbly. Not a bad taste, kind of biscuity, sandy, and needs to be eater with water. Doesn't exactly fill you up but probably adequate for a couple of days.

When I say you need water - you defnitely need water. Harveys will not do (sadly)
Several times I have made use of the Mainstay bars for short-term rations on long coast-to-coast drives to avoid stopping at restaurants along the way. We would rotate drivers every 3-4 hours, stopping only for gas and WC breaks. With a pint of hot tea to wash it down, with a little honey, jam, peanut butter, cheese or whatever to spread on them, mixing it up for variety, they made a satisfying meal.
They've arrived, but I think it only fair to point out how much easier it would have been to make these myself...and how much cheaper!

Ingredients: Wheat Flour, Vegetable Soya Fat, Sugars, Malt, VitaminC, B1 and B6.

It would be simple enough to make this mix up with a little more vitamins and minerals added in. But that's not the end of the world.

If you can compress your own mix enough, and vacuum seal the completed product into your own mylar bags, you'd be good to go with your own stuff. If you add some jerky to it, you'd be good to go.

Overall, I'm happy with the 2 packs I have for my GHB's.
S13 i agree they are ridiculously expensive but very handy and calorie packed...superb for BOBS where the cal count is all important , and require no prep and can be eaten on the move....am going to buy a bulk purchase in the next few months try and get the price down a bit....will probs go for bps rather than seven seas.