Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Pylons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Was out for a walk today in my local woods dry hunting(basically a walk where you make a note of any creatures you may have claimed for the pot) practice a bit of stalking and range estimation then pace out the shot to see how accurate your yardage was...sounds daft I know but in the absence of a dog it keeps the walk interesting, on the way home across the sports fields I happened to walk past an electricity pylon and it struck me that it could be a ready made frame/structure to form a BOL obviously only a goer if the grid is down, using tarps or building it like a sangar(materials permitting) there's the option of an op atop the structure and these things are dotted all over the countryside....just a thought!...am I a nutter?
not at all mate, lateral thinking should be encouraged, never thought of using them myself but I know what you mean.
could be a good idea if grid is down
Interesting idea. They would be a great source of building materials too, if you could transport it.
think its a bloody good idea
I'm guessing that if the grid is down ( correct me if I am wrong) but those huge great steel towers poking up into the sky and lined with super conductive power cables is going to be awfully attractive to every lightning strike coming out of the clouds ??
they are well grounded
Which makes it worse if I understand electricity right?

Its when you are INSULATED you are safe, that's why birdies don't get cooked when they land on pylons, but if they are somehow grounded they are toast.

Like when its safe inside a car hit by lightning cos the tyres insulate you from the ground and the leccy passes round you in the body of the car, or like if you use insulated tools on live cables, but once you are grounded you are toast.

Oh yes and remember that the " kill zone" for want of a better term can be up to 50 feet from the point of impact as numerous soccer players have found out when playing during a storm.

Someone with a knowledge of leccy will set us straight Smile

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/441423200946140240/
I would have thought that post SHTF, when we advise people to use pylons as a route marker/landmark this is the last place we'd want to camp for fear of being over run by other survivors?
Over here we have high winds that topple those things on a regular basis.

Plus being several hundred feet tall, and all metal, they attract lightening even though well grounded.

One advantage of them over here is that when the transmission pathways cut through heavily wooded areas the game uses the clear cuts as pathways too and from food sources. They are one of the best areas to hunt big game and would make excellent little used foot paths for Bug Out across country.
Pages: 1 2