Survival UK Forums

Full Version: The hidden side of prepping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes, this is something secretive, that often gets hidden and not spoken about. Thankfully on this forum, it has been discussed a little, but it's about time some other sides of prepping came out.

First off, prepping is not about having lots of tins and water. But they do help.

Prepping is not about being super fit, but it does help.

Prepping is not about having the best gear, but it does help.

Prepping is not about being self sufficient, but damn right it helps.

Prepping is not about having the sharpest knife, best bushcraft skills, or anything like that. But again, I'd rather have them then not.

The side of prepping that does not often get discussed is actually at the heart of prepping and survivalism. The ability to go through hell, and still keep going. The ability to move forward, adapt, change, and survive. To be able to live on when all others have perished. That is what pepping is.

When you have seen friends, family, neighbours, adults, children, and everything in-between, die a slow painful death, whether by hunger, thirst, freezing, or anything like that. Prepping is where you will have not only the abilities, but also the will and desire to survive and keep on living.

I hate to say this, but if you are into fitness, and you wuss out on a rep that you know you have got in you, that's a drop in your likelihood to survive. If you puss out on something because the weather isn't looking idea, then that's a drop in your will to push your limits. Taking a sensible risk is fine, and expected. But wussing out on something because it's 'uncomfortable' simply means you do not have the desire to push through difficulties. You are too used to your life of luxury.

It's a constant demand and challenge. I have to push through that last mile of running, I have to push through that last rep, that 3 degree drop I didn't get forecast, that rain, that difficulty. I need to remind myself so much to push my limits, and progress harder.

The fact of the matter is, if you drop off easily, flake out at difficulties, and the alike, then your will, determination, and desire to succeed, needs extra work and developing.

There's nothing wrong with that, but as people, we have a tendency to always put ourselves in the top 50% of all things. We fail to see our own short comings. Having someone to kick out butts into action and remind us to push our limits and keep progressing, is always helpful.

I have a wife that helps push me and encourage me. So please consider this to be a reminder for you and those around you, the will and desire to survive is just as important as the number of tins in your cupboard.

Progress, push forward, develop, adapt, overcome, survive, thrive.