Survival UK Forums

Full Version: More mods to my GHB gear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
More mods to my GHB clothing

I modified a DPM smock and a Geologists multi pocket vest to better conceal some of my prepper kit so it does not attract the eye of the authorities when trying to get out of Dodge on foot or public transport.

I originally sewed extra pockets inside both simply to carry a telescopic baton and a fixed blade knife, but as time went by further mods and adaptations saw me add a pocket for a two way radio, flashlight and multi tool to the inside with the objective of making the jacket / vest appear empty to the casual eye.

Adding extra pockets is one thing but I have noticed that by not thinking things through the extra weight on the jacket / vest lining pulls the clothing out of alignment and down on one side thus basically defeating the objective of trying to not draw attention to myself.

So more mods have been required by adding more lines of double stitching both vertically and horizontally to the jacket and vest to secure the lining better to the heavier outer fabric, I also found I needed to add extra material to the baton pouch to spread its load over a greater part of the jacket to stop it pulling the jacket out of shape.

Trouble is now of course I’m adding “essential” extra bits of kit into the outside pockets thus making the blasted garments look bulky again!!!! Doh!!!!

AA case with 4 spare batteries
Prismatic compass
Paracord
Fold flat drinking cup
Light sticks
Sharpey & Notebook
Bandana
Gerber artefact
Eye glasses in tough case
Gloves
!!! Never bloody ends does it.

Still at least my pocket knife, wallet, cell phone, kerchief etc still disappear inside my cargo pants.
Civilian labs do a pretty nifty looking set-up. I think it's hideously over priced for what it is (not seen it in person though, but doubt it's MaxP quality) but something like that may suit your needs?
Customisable too, so you can add and remove pouches at your will.

There must be a similar thing at a better price, somewhere.

You should probably make it clear that your "telescopic baton" is one of those legal plastic training ones, rather than the illegal metal ones. Just in case...
Smile