Survival UK Forums

Full Version: BOB walking.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, we all know bugging out is a last resort.

We pretty much all have BOBs, BOLs, various routes, and the alike.

One of the reasons we have quite a few Dartmoor trips is to test gear, skills, systems, and most importantly...ourselves.

Let's look at a quick scenario. You need to get out of dodge. You have your BOB packed and ready. The roads are blocked.

You grab your bag (question 1), how much does it weigh?

You head out to your BOL (question 2), how far away is it?

You leave your house at Midday (question 3), how long have you 'budgetted' in time to get to your BOL?

While walking you start to think about how often you have tested your gear and how easy/hard it is to make that journey (question 4) how many times have you carried your BOB the distance to get to your BOL?
a lot of personal questions there Scythe, some people may not want to answer those because of OPSEC on what is an open site.
did an easy 6.5 miles last tuesday with the full bob and carried an empty 18kg propane bottle over a mile back at the end of the walk as i found it thrown in the bushes on the towpath...have walked the route to my BOL twice with a daysack in five hours tactically just over 8 miles...will be doing it with the bob and something to replicate a shotgun in the next week.
Not really that person questions BP. Easy enough and very generic. Not giving away any data.

Just asking weight of gear, distance to carry it, how much time you think it'll take, and how often you've done that route with the gear.
Bob weighs just over 19kilo's 43lb in old money , benelli nova in full order 5 kg 11lb.....if just walking to make best speed about 3 hours...tactical then 5 to 6 hours....8miles as the crow flies about 9 miles travelled.
My home is my BOL. If it were unsafe to stay there, my backup location is with a friend and his family who live 10km away. It is mountainous terrain, but I can do the 10km on foot, snowshoes or skis if needed.

My BOB planning standard is to emphasize stealth and mobility and for the BOB not to exceed 10kg with 3-days food supply.
Some good answers here.

It's refreshing to see a couple of people that have actually tested the routes with gear too.

MNM, if you had a shottybag, you can use metal tubing of similar weight, to get an idea of what it'll be like. Or if you go for some heavy metal piping, that'll be 'similar' in shape and weight...plus it's easy enough to get a sling over and drilled into a metal pipe.
am sorted mate...have a camera tripod that i can make my qd sling fit...added bonus people won't look at me like i have two heads if i get bumpedBig Grin
Good thing you do not live in Kentucky!

The cops would be all over you wanting to know why you were carrying a backpack and tripod!

"Hey boy, are you some kind of stalker or somethin'? You out here taking pictures of little kids you perv!"
Where I live is an area of outstanding natural beauty and therefore not that unusual to be carrying a tripod provided of course you have something to put on said tripod.....lots of twitchers round here too