Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Scavenging.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
check out "The Scavengers Manifesto" (book) on Amazon, copy available for 1P plus p&p.
I used to be a scavenger as a kid, spent much of my downtime sneaking about the local tip..many of my best treasures came from there, bicycles(whole&parts)pram wheels for making trolley cars , all manner of usefull knick knacks for building/kitting out dens....i only scavenged back then cos i had little money and plenty of time....won't be doing any scavenging now(apart from my recent gas bottle find)modern day scavengers do it on the net with things like freetoyou and freecycle.
you'd be surprised what I find just lying about.

its not just a hobby, its a way of life for me.
I get it but i don't have the time and inclinitation...not saying my scavenging radar wouldn't ever be switched on again though....my other concern is that when you scavenge stuff it's almost always a compromise but if you buy that item it will be as close to perfect for your needs as is humanly possible provided you have done your homework....if i was retired unemployed or skint i'd be a scavenger.
I've been all three most of my life!Big Grin
Hehe, at work they call me "skip-jockey" on account of me regularly rummaging about in the scrap bins. Seriously though, the stuff they chuck out is unbelievable! Wood, metal and electrical stuff. My whole computer kit is scavenged for example. Over a small period of time I managed to reclaim a motherboard, CPU and heatsink, fans, 4gb of ram, DVD drives, floppy drive, power supply, tower chassis, monitor, wireless keyboard & mouse, LCD monitor plus all connecting cables and it hasn't cost me a penny!
I think scavenging is in my blood, I'm always finding stuff.
my entire store of firewood plus a wooden gate, some fencing and loads of pallets plus a large wooden box is all scavenged, + water bottles, tins even my old bicycle was scavenged.

the chair I am sitting on in front of this laptop is scavenged.
A guy I worked with many years ago found a functional Winchester lever action carbine in a skip. I'd be happy with a few sheets of plywood.
I prefer the term salvage over scavenge, we are not carrion we are people who will round up, collect and utilise goods and materials that would probably rot and decay or pollute the environment if left in place after TSHTF

EG last year on Beadnle beach in Northumberland I came cross 10 blue plastic barrels with tops on the surf line that had obviously fallen or been thrown from a ship, it they had broken open in total about 12 to 15 litres of oil dregs would have gotten into the rock pools, but now those containers store part of my fuel cache AND earn a living after having the tops cut off and used as veg planters.
Pages: 1 2