Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Gear weight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Most of us have bob's packed, but have you carried them any distance? I learnt the hard way this weekend that overpacking hurts (thanks for the help scythe). If you cant carry your bag any distance, is it any use to you? Can you decrease weight, or do you need to improve your fittness? Just something to think about.
My BOB as was weight about 45 pounds which is something I could manage so long as I did not play Rambo, my full kit in the army was a touch over 70 pounds but that was years ago Smile. The 45 pound weight is sustainable in my case for my needs in moving at between 2 and 3 MPH tactically with lots of pauses and rest stops, which I think will be the most likely option for most non military types after TSHTF with wifey, kids possibly granny in tow. Move much faster than that are you simply cannot recce the area in front of you properly and you just end up tabbing like a rambler which will only see your premature demise after TSHTF.

However my GHB is a touch over 30 pounds with two full water bottles and my EDC bag is probably only 10 pounds.

Packing your gear right and how you carry the load can greatly influence how far and how painful it can get, I still piss myself laughing when I see silly buggers with the weight on their hips and sleeping bags bouncing off their arses.
danzord its an evolutionary thing you start of carrying far to much but it gets pared down overtime when you realise some bits of kit never get used and you see better lighter ways of doing things....it can take a goodly while to perfect as i'm still packing too much over 30 years into it lol Blush
This is an important question. There is a huge difference between having a weighted bag, and being able to carry that bag for time.

I know I can carry my bag with full gear for a day's hiking on VERY hilly ground, and still have energy to drop the bag and run a mile or 2 afterwards, but admittedly not very fast miles.

I'm still stripping down as much weight from my bag as I can, and I think I know a couple more items I could remove, but just need to do so and get back out on Dartmoor or somewhere, to test it out. There's no point getting gear, and improving it, and mofidying, and this and that, unless it gets tested and you're able to work with it.

TOF used to get tents and try them out in her front garden! She's crazy, but awesome. MCavity gets gear, learns to use is, then upgrades the item and uses it, e.g. his axe, cooking system, etc. SD tests out anything he can get his hands on.

The difference between having gear, being able to use it, and being able to move with it, are miles apart!

Good lesson well learned.
this is why I use a framed pack, I have a small 25litre pack on a frame for day trips and scouting post SHTF, my BOB is an Alice pack on a frame, the only time I use a non framed pack is for my sandwiches when I go to The Scythe Fair or the Game Fair or for small purchases at same. I find a framed pack spreads the weight.
A good discussion here: http://preparednessadvice.com/survival/m...ack-weigh/

most of us are not in great shape, have young children or are getting long in the tooth. So what should our backpack weigh? There are several factors that affect the weight we can carry. These include the pack weight itself, the physical and mental condition of the packer, as well as the terrain and conditions in which one is traveling.

Physical variables, include fitness, build type, bone and muscle density, the health of your joints (knees in particular), and age, these will change the answer for each person.

Guidelines used by recreational backpackers are that an individual in good health should be able to carry about 20% of their body weight, a 40 lb pack for a 200-pound person. More experienced backpackers should be able to carry 25% of their body weight, a 50 lb pack for a 200-pound person. Very experienced and well-conditioned backpackers can carry 35% of their body weight – a 70 lb pack for a 200-pound person.

Age and sex can affect the above suggested weights, a doctor told me that most men in their 70’s should not carry over 20 lbs for any long distance. Children are another problem and you as parents will have to make the decision on how much weight they can carry. Women often lack the upper body strength of men and cannot carry as much weight.

Backpacks can damage your health, if they are more than your personal limit. So start with lighter loads and short trips, and gradually increase your backpack weight and the length of your trips. Remember that with very heavy backpack you need to be careful to put it on right, otherwise you can damage your back before you even start to walk.

The bottom line is that each person is unique and you should spend time discovering for yourself how much should your backpack weigh?

Howard

This entry was posted in Seventy-two hour kits, survival and tagged backpack weigh. Bookmark the permalink.
← 30 Year Old Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher Still Works.How to Measure Distances Across Rivers or Other Obstacles →
2 Responses to How much should your backpack weigh?
ke4sky says:
February 18, 2014 at 2:38 am
The 20-lb. figure for a fit male in his 70s is in almost exact agreement with the ten kilos , carried for ten “clicks” per day in average terrain, cited by my cardiologist, who is a West Pointer, former Special Forces medic, and retired COL. U.S. Army Medical Corps. After age 60 anyone beginning an exercise program should first undergo a cardio-pulmonary evaluation, to include a dual-isotope stress test. Then begin your exercise program based upon guidelines recommended by your health care provider. Doing so is absolutely necessary and will ensure positive results with minimal risk of unpleasant surprises.