Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Debating the debaters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Debating the debaters

Is it better to have heated contentious even bitter debate by strong willed free thinking people than to stifle debate, is it better to ignore someone you absolutely cannot interact with than demand repressive and restrictive moderation on forums as we face losing far more than we gain by simply being polite, chatty politically correct unchallenging debaters.

I think so, I may disagree violently with what certain other members say or write, I may choose to ignore them rather that getting into a fight, BUT I would defend those members rights to write and speak how they see things and how they feel.

But then we get around to discussing and debating issues that could affect our lives in a crisis, we NEED to discuss, debate, argue, challenge, contend, advice, agree and disagree if we are to improve our knowledge and skills.

But it must be a TWO WAY street, two way debates, two way learning and sharing and contributing. If it is only a few regular hard core members doing all the article writing and posts then in time their posts end up only focusing on how THEY view things and how THEIR preps benefit THEIR lives and much knowledge is lost because no one else is exploring alternatives, different approaches and other people’s needs. The end result is prepping plans that are too narrow in their approach and too restrictive in their findings and they only benefit a few people with certain lifestyles and obligations.

I used to feel that banning people who only visited forums to agitate or hassle others was the best route, but in time I noticed that whilst the agitator may be targeting person A he is often sharing and debating sensibly with person B who he has no beef with, So I feel that banning is not the best or wisest approach all the time, yes there will be occasions when flamers or idiots posting simply dangerous and wrong information must be locked out because they contribute nothing.

I have forum members in my IGNORE file it is because of various reasons but usually comes down to being simply too different in character and makeup to be able to interact with each other peacefully.

BUT whilst I am ignoring them other members are getting on well with them and teaching each other useful skills and sharing knowledge, that creativity must be protected and nurtured not restricted by excess moderation in an effort not to upset those of more delicate and easily offended sensibilities.

I am against moderation as it stifles debate and creativity; it assumes the adult members are incapable of acting in a responsible manner.

I am all for divided membership or active member only forums as more is lost by drip feeding people all the the hard work done by a hard core of members to others who offer nothing or almost nothing in return.

I have viewed many forums on many issues and find those that are the most exciting, creative, productive and beneficial are those with the least moderation, whilst heavily moderated forums are happy, light hearted, politically correct, diverse and inclusive they rarely do more than act like a coffee shop or lounge for people to discuss mundane issues.

Gimme contention over banality every time if it end up with me or them learning something useful beneficial.

Look at the slanging match I had with Lightspeed last year after the dust settled I got put in my place but overall the community benefitted greatly from much from his articles on radio comms, so I lost an argument but ended up with better prepped comms kit.

The greatest advancements in technology, medical care, engineering etc nearly all came about from conflict, being polite and social so as not to offend anyone is nice but its not a nice world we live in.

So YES closed forum, YES Ignore button, YES to heated debate NO to moderation this is not the Womens guild it’s a place where there is growing knowledge that could save my families life.

I'm not here to make friends, but I have none the less, but I am here to share and learn so ALL WHO CONTRIBUTE have a better chance of surviving what is coming.
Well fuck me sideways - that's the most sensible thing I think I've ever seen from you NR.

I agree wholeheartedly - Good job.

although being in you ignore list you won't see this message of support Big Grin

*YOUR* ignore list.
Well said both of you, even if you disagree with each others point of view it's good to see people remaining civilised.

PS, why do we have US spelling system? it's driving me mad having to spell incorrectly.
very rounded view NR....theres always going to be people you find a bit prickly for whatever reason....i just keep out of there stuff unless i think they maybe doing disservice to the comunity then i feel the need to pipe up , i like healthy debate and i don't mind it getting heated because usually its not personal just a strong sense of belief in there stance.
+1

Yep can't disagree with any of that, and we've certainly had differing views at times, but that doesn't mean I don't respect you or value what you have to say - far from it! And the same applies to others as well.

The only thing I am slightly hesitant on is where you draw the line with regards to divided membership. For example I would class myself as fairly inactive compared to some, and I certainly take (or gain!) more from the forum than I am able to give back (at this time anyway), but that is because of work commitments and my lack of knowledge/experience in many areas, and also I don't tend to join in with a discuss just for the sake of it if I have nothing new to add.

I would prefer to see any closed forum restricted to sensitive issues, which we don't want in the public domain for either legal or opsec reasons rather than having discussions about anything and everything in a closed forum.
I think you misunderstand me Dev, I am referring to the very large number of members who rarely or never post but visit frequently rather than semi regular members who post when they have something positive to contribute, you only joined in Dec 13 but had added nearly 200 comments to the debates, that simply cannot be treated as a negative, some folks come here almost daily and never post anything.
Well put NR , its taken me a fair old while to get in to the flow of the site.....had my rants , threw dollies out of the pram ......but I have learnt loads of great stuff here ...some great ideas flow and inspire me , but the most single thing is the value of other members and offer them all due respect.....HL expressed his views on posts being taken down.....and I would agree with his view.....we all get frustrated when we believe its in all members iinterests to talk on maybe not so much survival driven subject matter ....but feel strong enough to post anyway and make it fit our fourum' then its taken down leaving the author even more pissed off.....but they are the rules of this site , and there for good reason.
(2 April 2014, 14:40)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]I think you misunderstand me Dev, I am referring to the very large number of members who rarely or never post but visit frequently rather than semi regular members who post when they have something positive to contribute, you only joined in Dec 13 but had added nearly 200 comments to the debates, that simply cannot be treated as a negative, some folks come here almost daily and never post anything.

Fair enough and I assumed that was more along the lines of what you meant, but assumptions are a dangerous thing to rely on.....
you know what our American cousins always say Devonian "never assume a goddam thing"!!Big Grin
I guess this mean's I'm off NR's ignore list haha.

Well but you smelly bugger.

Haha, I meant Well PUT.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5