Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(8 April 2014, 02:00)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism?

A "part" of it? - Yes.

A useful skill? - Yes.

But is it something you are likely to need to rely upon for your survival following an event, in the UK? - No.

So rather than knowing how to set a snare, make a bow, construct a shelter; how about developing your 'urbancraft' instead, such as being able to source water in an urban environment (think manhole keys); how to stealthily open a locked door (bump keys); where to look for non-obvious sources of food......... etc etc........

Hmmmm, I like the way you're thinking. I'm with you on that for sure.
Below is probably the best thought out and CONSTRUCTIVE response I have read in the last ten years, AND Devonian has highlighted a huge sodding great gap in our collective knowledge , URBAN FORAGING AND CITY CRAFT ?????, have we really screwed up so much that we have focused almost entirely on NAVIGATING and BUGGING OUT OF CITIES and not developed intel and skills on souring resources in cities. Turn Empty Necropolis into City Smorgasbord Smile

Finding water in urban sealed systems
Urban foraging
Guerrilla Gardening
Urban movement
Finding some place to kip outdoors in the city without getting bushwacked
Avoiding the higher numbers of plods, officials etc
Accessing off limits areas, storm drains, cable tunnels, cellars, crypts, sub terr stores, reservoirs, UG railways etc
Finding shelter that's both secure but easy to get out of in a hurry

You lot REALLY have to read BENEATH THE CITY STREETS by Peter Laurie

And looking at Devs comments in more depth to be fair Snaring and Bow Making etc have equal value in the necropolis as they do in the boonies.

"Devonian Wrote:
Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism?

A "part" of it? - Yes.

A useful skill? - Yes.

But is it something you are likely to need to rely upon for your survival following an event, in the UK? - No.

So rather than knowing how to set a snare, make a bow, construct a shelter; how about developing your 'urbancraft' instead, such as being able to source water in an urban environment (think manhole keys); how to stealthily open a locked door (bump keys); where to look for non-obvious sources of food......... etc etc........"
I'm with you to a certain extent but I can see myself bugging out if only on a temporary basis if bugging in gets too dangerous (riotous mobs burning houses down in my street etc). I see bushcraft as a way of hiding where no-one would either look or expect to find me. Camping is not a long term solution.
I mean on Dartmoor apart from getting lost, getting cold or finding Scythe dry humping your leg when you are in your sleeping bag there is not that much to worry about Smile
Scythe dry humping your leg or a riotous mob? Now there's a conundrum?
(8 April 2014, 09:18)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]I mean on Dartmoor apart from getting lost, getting cold or finding Scythe dry humping your leg when you are in your sleeping bag there is not that much to worry about Smile

watch out for those Dartmoor ponies, they'll trample you tent and eat all your food if you aren't careful. course you might have to watch out for the Yeti of Dartmoor..........ME!!
"I've a hole in my preps dear Liza , dear Liza I've hole in my preps dear Liza a hole"

Its quite astounding to realise there is a prep issue that has completely skipped my mind because I automatically focus on simply leaving cities ASAP as soon as the SHTF ( which is still the right policy in my book I would add). But there are going to be times and scenarios where members simply cannot up and go, EG all exits closed off by the authorities, family member to ill to travel etc. So those folks would have to out think and out manoeuvre the diverse, inclusive, politically correct, law abiding, multi cultural denizens of many cities whose intentions would be to loot, rape, burn, wreck and terrorise anyone not part of their gangs, AND also avoid being rounded up , disarmed and controlled by the authorities who would no doubt implement Martial Law.
(8 April 2014, 09:24)SlyUrbanFox Wrote: [ -> ]Scythe dry humping your leg or a riotous mob? Now there's a conundrum?

You'd be safer with the mob! Haha
In all seriousness, is there a case to be made for joining the mob? Keeping your friends close and your enemies closer? Organised groups (or gangs or the mob) will prosper at everyone elses expense. They don't need to know you're a prepper. If you can't be the shepherd, is it better to be the wolf rather than the sheep? Food for thought.........? I'm sure you'll all have your opinions!
yeah, trusting family groups is one thing, but a group of strangers post SHTF?? my first thought is: watch your back! and my second is: I hope you can sleep with one eye open! you've got through TSHTF, you've come out the other side and NOW your going to put your survival in the hands of someone else? sheesh! good luck with that!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9