Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Safe to return?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This is an odd question, but the Urban-Craft thing has got me thinking.

If there's a total collapse, when do you think it would be safer to return into the cities? I don't mean this in the "human danger" element. I am more talking about pollutants in the water, smog in the air, building damage/crumble, structure rot and rust, and things like that.
probably never, what with all the rotting bodies and the burning buildings, why would you want to??

if its a TOTAL collapse, get out, stay out and don't come back.
It depends on the "event", but as with the recent flooding, the government (or whoever is in charge) WILL put most money/resources into areas where the greatest return can be achieved, so the cities will generally be tackled first. It is also easier for the government to police a smaller compact area, so I would expect the cities to be sorted sooner rather than later.

But that doesn't mean I will be heading for the cities!
Scythe did say TOTAL collapse! probably nothing to come back to, unless you like fighting with gang members or other assorted trash.
Nature if it runs true to course will probably remove the nastier BIOLOGICAL problems within five years through decomposition etc, BUT metallic toxins, PCBs, arsenics, chemical waste could be still lethal for hundreds of years in the water systems etc.

As buildings decay and crumble everything from asbestos dust, deadly PCB dust from burnt plastic cabling, fibre glass insulation particles etc will probably get more lethal before they become eventually covered in biological dust, compost, soil, etc

And of course in larger urban areas with bigger buildings within only a couple of years you face the threat of falling roof tiles, frost damaged cornices, collapsing gutters, huge office glazing panels, loose bricks, collapsing fire damaged structures, buildings subsiding cos of blocked drainage systems triggering erosion etc etc. Just look at Londonistan not only are millions of building not going to get any repairs of maintenance, but vermin, damp rot, dry rot, flood water, busted drains, blocked sewers etc are going to be undermining the ground you walk on. London is riddled with cellars, tunnels, tubes, huge drains, crypts, sub terr buildings all needing constant attention to stop them from decaying. Once man leave rot will take over so both the stuff over head and the voids under your feet will be trying to kill you and any dust clouds you kick up are likely to be quite toxic

I doubt if I would go back into any large town or city unless absolutely desperate and I would wear a respirator and eye protection and carry climbing gear in case I fall into a void, even if I did drive a herd of Labour voters in front of me to trigger any lethal hazards in advance.

I would NOT use any city water source.
(8 April 2014, 11:35)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]This is an odd question, but the Urban-Craft thing has got me thinking.

If there's a total collapse, when do you think it would be safer to return into the cities? I don't mean this in the "human danger" element. I am more talking about pollutants in the water, smog in the air, building damage/crumble, structure rot and rust, and things like that.

Return as in return to live there, or as in visit to claim stuff?

Returning to obtain (loot) stuff, then go whenever. Moving back in? That's a different story...

Pollutants, as NR has stated, will be dealt with by nature in fairly short order (5ish years). The building issues, well they will only get worse with time (if left unchecked) so unless you're going to repair and rebuild then I'd avoid moving there permanently.
(8 April 2014, 11:46)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]Scythe did say TOTAL collapse! probably nothing to come back to, unless you like fighting with gang members or other assorted trash.

OK, but that doesn't mean that TPTB (or whoever replaces them) won't at some time start to try and impose some authority and rebuild society.

So in that situation I still reckon TPTB would therefore head back to the cities.

But again I still won't be following them.....
I was watching a documentary about how Detroit has basically fallen apart in the past couple of years - while most buildings were still standing, many had trees growing in them, roofs had collapsed etc. Most buildings aren't repairable, let alone habitable, with all this having happened in around 5 or 6 years, since the GFC hit in 2008.

There were people breaking in to loot stuff, and while they showed kitchens with tinned food etc still in the pantry, people were mainly looking for copper etc to salvage and sell for scrap.

Why would you be thinking of going back into cities post-event? The only reason I would want to would be if needed something essential like medicine that couldn't be found elsewhere. I imagine that most items would be available in industrial parks/warehouses on the outskirts of cities though, so couldn't see myself going back unless absolutely necessary.
(8 April 2014, 12:12)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]
(8 April 2014, 11:46)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]Scythe did say TOTAL collapse! probably nothing to come back to, unless you like fighting with gang members or other assorted trash.

OK, but that doesn't mean that TPTB (or whoever replaces them) won't at some time start to try and impose some authority and rebuild society.

So in that situation I still reckon TPTB would therefore head back to the cities.

But again I still won't be following them.....

if TPTB are going back into the cities that's a good excuse not to follow.
(8 April 2014, 13:18)Jace Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you be thinking of going back into cities post-event? The only reason I would want to would be if needed something essential like medicine that couldn't be found elsewhere. I imagine that most items would be available in industrial parks/warehouses on the outskirts of cities though, so couldn't see myself going back unless absolutely necessary.

I don't think that any of the people of this forum would be looking at going back.

BUT, what about the 100's of thousands, possibly even millions of sheeple that TPTB or whoever is tasked with dealing with.

It will be easier for them to fix the roof on one tower block than one thousand houses......
Pages: 1 2 3